TrickFlow 2v heads

JymboSlice

Dec 9, 2008
Hey, just got a set of the new trickflow 2v heads..after i found out i had 2 bent exhaust valves upon starting it up..but anyways, these things are sick, the quality of them are just amazing.

Im running about 8 psi of boost and have full bolt ons + p51 intake and stage II cams..im worried about the stock bottom end, will it be alright with the added power from the heads? im running a very safe boost level so shouldnt it be fine? i also have a focus fuel pump, fuel rails, and 42 ppound injectors.

if anyone wants some pics of the heads just let me know and ill try to post some of them up for ya

• Sponsors (?)

yea i plan on getting it dyno'd once the heads are on and when i have 600 or so easy miles on the clutch..i just dont want to melt a piston or blow a rod through the side of my block before i can beat on it at least once

I would reccommend a Boost-a-pump if you don't already have one on the focus pump. Assuming that you are upgrading from stock unported PI heads the heads should net you 50+ rwhp and put around 475rwhp. This has been done on stock short blocks. It's mostly in the tune and the rest is luck.

If you were making 8psi on stock pi heads, I doubt you even see a full 6psi at the same RPM with the added flow from the trick flow heads. But you should definitely see a power increase despite the drop in boost. With the P-51 and a set of stage 2 cams and full bolt-ons, I don't think you can spin the motor high enough on a stock bottom end to take full advantage of the heads. That combo should be able to make power well beyond 7000 RPM, so you are definitely set up well for the future. I'm not sure of the flow on the focus pumps but if you aren't running at least 255lph you need more pump, and 42# injectors are the absolute minimum size, once you build your bottom end and go for more boost and RPM, you will definitely need more fuel.

If you were making 8psi on stock pi heads, I doubt you even see a full 6psi at the same RPM with the added flow from the trick flow heads. But you should definitely see a power increase despite the drop in boost. With the P-51 and a set of stage 2 cams and full bolt-ons, I don't think you can spin the motor high enough on a stock bottom end to take full advantage of the heads. That combo should be able to make power well beyond 7000 RPM, so you are definitely set up well for the future. I'm not sure of the flow on the focus pumps but if you aren't running at least 255lph you need more pump, and 42# injectors are the absolute minimum size, once you build your bottom end and go for more boost and RPM, you will definitely need more fuel.

42# injectors are good for supercharged applications for little over 500 so your getting real close to that, I would upgrade them and get an in-line pump to go along with that focus pump.

get forged internals so you can take full advantage of the parts that you have.

i plan to get a MMR stroker kit to fill a bored out teksid block. With a set of AFM 72 cams, a MMR fuel system, built rear axle, then have D&D bullitproof my tr3650...as well as an 8 rib set up with at least 18-20 psi of boost.

lookin for some mid to low 10 sec time slips after im done with everything, then i plan on building an 04 oxford white slobra

i only plan on running the rpms at 6k or so.. nothing more cause i dont want to run out of fuel up in the high rpm range and blow it up too soon, i just want to keep everything real conservative for now so i can go race it.

and do you see any belt slip with 17#? are you runnin the 6 rib belt?

I run an 8 rib with a reichard ultra grip and a Thumper tensioner all from BGG performance with no slip. I am at just over 60,000RPM on the blower which is about 10% beyond max rated (55,000).

You will need a really big blower to get to 20# if you run an air-to-air intercooler. My intake flow is 257CFM and I can only get to 17#. With the intake on those trick flows being over 240CFM, you might see 18# but you would need a bigger blower than a NOVI-2000 to get to 20# or more. Probably at least a ProCharger F series.

i thought the novi 2000's could be run up to 28 psi?

Better flow through the motor lowers the manifold pressure. So while on an entirely stock system a blower might push pressure up as high as 28 psi, if you improve airflow through the motor that manifold pressure will drop. The blower is pushing as much air, but it's not piling up in the manifold.

Better flow through the motor lowers the manifold pressure. So while on an entirely stock system a blower might push pressure up as high as 28 psi, if you improve airflow through the motor that manifold pressure will drop. The blower is pushing as much air, but it's not piling up in the manifold.

So wouldn't he just get the same horsepower level, just at a lower boost level.

So wouldn't he just get the same horsepower level, just at a lower boost level.

Well, no, if he just bolts on the heads and gets it tuned for the new airflow, he'll make more power. If it wasn't flowing more air, the manifold pressure wouldn't change. Since it is flowing more air it can burn more fuel, and hence make more power. And since the air is not being compressed as much since it isn't piling up in the manifold, it will be ingesting cooler air.

Theoretically it can be dialed back to the previous power levels and a safer tune, but do you know anyone who'd do that after spending the money on new heads?

Theoretically it can be dialed back to the previous power levels and a safer tune, but do you know anyone who'd do that after spending the money on new heads?

he is concerned about destroying his bottom end. if he is already running 415 to the ground and bumps up the HP on his stock bottom end it wont end well! he might want to keep his power at the same level for now until he goes forged....no?

he is concerned about destroying his bottom end. if he is already running 415 to the ground and bumps up the HP on his stock bottom end it wont end well! he might want to keep his power at the same level for now until he goes forged....no?

Oh yeah, I'm with you on that. I was thinking the same thing.

I would think better flowing heads means cooler charge going into the combustion chamber, so less chance of detonation for a given power level.

I just meant that spending all that money on new heads for no power gain is a tough sell to some of the voices in the back of your head :)

He may not be gaining anything where peak power is concerned, but there is total power to consider. Since the blower needs less torque to flow the same amount of air, and less pumping losses through the heads. Power goes up across all rpm's. Also, mpg should go up. Lots of benefits that don't show up on a dyno are in those heads like camshaft profile flexibility among other things.