Trim painted, opinions requested

Pretty much as the title says. I used Dupli-Color trim black b/c I had read some good reviews of it on here. Personally, I don't think it's that great of a paint. It has absolutely no fill qualities, and doesn't shine much more than primer. It's a bummer that I spent a full day sanding and masking for results that aren't that great. Since I've never seen stock trim in good shape, I don't know what to compare it to though?

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen some high res pictures with this stuff and the moldings turned out really good
View attachment 460866
Here are some basic instructions (I did not write this):
"I cleaned the trim with PPG DX330 Acryli-clean so that any old wax or cleaners didn't get sanded "into" the trim, which would keep the paint from adhering. I also chose to tape the glass off to avoid scratching it while sanding. I started out sanding lightly with some 80 grit dry paper to get the roughest part of the surface off. I then switched to wet-sanding and progressively used finer paper and ended up stopping at 1500 grit because the bumper paint I chose to use is pretty thin, and expecting it to fill any sanding scratches or pits in the surface would be hopeless. Just take your time because when you think it's smooth enough for paint, you're probably about halfway there! lol

Painting and Re-sealing the Window: Once the trim was sanded to my satisfaction, I started painting with some flexible bumper paint. I put several coats on , then wetsanded it with some 1500 and then put several more coats on until I was happy with the way it looked".

Did you clear it yet? If it has been cleared, treat it like normal car parts and take 1500 (lightly) then 2000 to it. Then use non-silcone based hand glaze to polish it out. No matter how cheap the paint it will pop on you. (be careful of all edges)

I need to do all my trim aroudn the hatch and around the windshield. They are a little grey, but everything has already been done (except the 1/4 windows). Speeking of which, anyone have that web page with the write up of how/what to use???

Nick

Sorry WLDHRSE...your prayers haven't been answered. The only pieces I removed were the lower door moldings since they are just one screw each. I figure since I have to mask off the whole car anyways (since the 1/4 trim isn't removable), then why not just leave it all on? The trick to not leaving any mask lines is to use 1/4" pinstriping tape (the blue stuff 3M makes for painting pinstriping) around all the edges and then mask off that with regular 1" tape. Where you can, slide that pinstriping tape behind the trim. No one will ever know you didn't pull the trim, unless you're stupid like me and tell them.