Trim the fat options?

torqueIT

Jan 9, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
Alright,

I know you can do things like a rear seat delete, get run flats - dump the spare, pull out things like sound deadening, etc., etc.

But I'm interested in finding out about chassis, suspension, engine modifications that could really make a significant difference in weight savings.

I'd like to pull out the pork, as they say, without sacrificing creature comforts.

Anyone have suggestions? :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple of companies that are making carbon fiber hoods, deck lids, and doors. I will look through my SEMA stuff and let you know.

I am thinking of running the carbon deck lid and a glass hood, thats a start.

BMR also makes a radiator mount that reduces something like 26 lbs...

SinCityVogel said:
There are a couple of companies that are making carbon fiber hoods, deck lids, and doors. I will look through my SEMA stuff and let you know.

I'm thinking, so far, that with a rear seat delete, updates to the stock suspension, radiator, flywheel, exhaust system, drive-shaft, battery, run-flats and maybe a few carbon fiber replacements (preferably doors), a weight savings of around 300-350lbs shouldn't be too far outta the ballpark. :nice:

Tack on a low calorie diet, and within 3-4 months add an additional 30-40 pounds to that, it might be a pretty good deal all around! :D

torqueIT said:
I'm thinking, so far, that with a rear seat delete, updates to the stock suspension, radiator, flywheel, exhaust system, drive-shaft, battery, run-flats and maybe a few carbon fiber replacements (preferably doors), a weight savings of around 300-350lbs shouldn't be too far outta the ballpark. :nice:

Tack on a low calorie diet, and within 3-4 months add an additional 30-40 pounds to that, it might be a pretty good deal all around! :D

I don't know... sounds like a lot of $$$ and work to pick up what amounts to 3 or 4 tenths in the 1/4.

SinCityVogel said:

a fiberglass hood is HEAVIER than the ALUMINUM hood that is on your car to start with.

check out BMR for some real weight saving problems. they have a tubular k member that saves 20 pounds. the biggest weight reduction is the 2 piece driveshaft. that baby wieghs over 40 pounds!! if you have a dedicated track car, then a swaybar delete that saves like 25 lbs (if you include the weight of the sway bar).

bmrfabrication.com/2005mustang.htm

RetiredGeneral said:
I don't know... sounds like a lot of $$$ and work to pick up what amounts to 3 or 4 tenths in the 1/4.

Ahh! But your missing the secondary benefits (which are actually primary when you think about it) you'd be GAINING additional horsepower along with the weight savings, and lets face it, you're going to be doing 98-99% everyday driving and only 1-2% drag racing. For those into track racing (i.e. those who actually need to turn a corner) the suspension upgrades are a given.

Updates to the stock suspension = Primary: better handling, secondary: weight savings.
Radiator = Primary: keep it cool, things'll last longer. Secondary: weight savings.
Flywheel = Primary: more hp (5-10hp), secondary: weight savings
Exhaust system = Primary: more hp (5-10hp), secondary: weight savings
Drive-shaft = Primary: more hp (5-10hp), secondary: weight savings
Battery = Primary: (good for that sound system I mentioned), secondary: weight savings/redistribution
Run-flats = Primary: Just common sense for me, I hate dealing with spares :D secondary: safety, weight
carbon fiber replacements = pure weight and visual punch (expensive yes, but worth every penny)

All together you're probably looking at 6-9k in upgrades for these upgrades alone (without carbon fiber, drop that by 2-4k), so yes, expensive. But if you're like me, you're not planning on letting go of your Mustang for quite a while, so you can spread it out over the years.

Rant complete :rolleyes: