Trouble Finding Powerband

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
I am in the process, like I am sure others are, of getting some items off my list during the winter months.

What I am trying to find are some powerbands of certain items.

Before someone jumps down my throat, I HAVE done a search and it wasn't much help.

I am currently running a Steeda 19 cam, which starts to make its power about 2500 or so, and on up to 6000+.

I plan on getting some gears soon. I was thinking either 373's or 410's. But then I thought, which would be better for the powerband of a stock bottom end 5.0 with E7's sporting 1.96/1.60 valves, a Steeda 19 cam, stock intake(for now), and either 373 or 410 gears. If I was to do an intake, I'd probably go Eddy Performer.

I know this is is alot to ask, and an answer may not be that easy to come by. But I am hoping someone on here, Hissin, Final5.0, KillerCanary, or others may have atleast some rough numbers to help out. I'll keep researching some more, and thank you VERY much in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't understand your question too well, but if you have an AODE then 4:10 is the way to go, unless you spend a lot of time on the highway.
AODE's need all the help you can give em, and don't forget the shift kit, and if you have the funds a converter too :nice:

good luck

What gears are in the car now? If you jump from 2.73 to 4.10s you may need a chip to keep you off the rev limiter during shifts.

So far over the years we've determined that:

2.73s -> 3.73s is okay
3.08s -> 4.10s is okay
2.73s -> 4.10s may have issues with the stock computer

I am in the process, like I am sure others are, of getting some items off my list during the winter months.

What I am trying to find are some powerbands of certain items.

Before someone jumps down my throat, I HAVE done a search and it wasn't much help.

I am currently running a Steeda 19 cam, which starts to make its power about 2500 or so, and on up to 6000+.

I plan on getting some gears soon. I was thinking either 373's or 410's. But then I thought, which would be better for the powerband of a stock bottom end 5.0 with E7's sporting 1.96/1.60 valves, a Steeda 19 cam, stock intake(for now), and either 373 or 410 gears. If I was to do an intake, I'd probably go Eddy Performer.

I know this is is alot to ask, and an answer may not be that easy to come by. But I am hoping someone on here, Hissin, Final5.0, KillerCanary, or others may have atleast some rough numbers to help out. I'll keep researching some more, and thank you VERY much in advance.

I'll share some things I've seen from looking at a bunch of combos but my focus
has always been with a stick trans.

The cam has a lot to do with the powerband :)

I've seen a tendency for the #19 cam to be a bit soft on the low end

Now having said that ... those combos that used that cam have been using
aftermarket Aluminum heads so I can see how they might make a slight bit
less down low. You would think the e7's might do a bit better but with those
larger valves ... I could not say for sure.

A few more things about the low end and how you can prop it up somewhat

1) Long Tube headers
2) Longest runnered intake .......
such as that Edel Performer you speak about
3) Steeper rear gear ratio
4) Tune ... have the spark value increased & rate quickened

So much for the low end ... Lets move up to the other end

Again ... The cam has a lot to do with all this
and
You say it will pull up to and beyond 6K so I'll take your word for that :)

Here the longest runnered intake can hurt you a bit :(

You have to consider how much of 1, 3, & 4 you can take advantage of :Word:

I feel if you can put 1,3, & 4 in place ... move up to a mid length runner upper
for an advantage up high ;)

Of course ... the thinking here is the other three choices offset the softer
low end of the mid length runner upper intake

With those OEM iron heads you want to be sure you got some valve springs
that are up to the task to accomplish your rpm desires. Don't have the
misconception you are gonna do it with OEM E7 springs.

I don't know if that kind of stuff is what you were looking for :shrug: :D

O Yeah :)

From everything I've seen said from those running aode's ........

A higher stall tc and shift kit is a mandatory kinda thing
or
The low end will be pretty lack luster

Grady

To answer some questions...

The car is an AODE and it has the 2.73 gears (stock). I was planning on going with 3.73's b/c I do more highway driving than anything else. Plus, I have also heard the issues about going to 4.10's. Another thought was to maybe do Motive 3.90's, but I'll probably just do FRPP gears.

I also know that a torque convertor and shift kit would be very helpful. I definately will be getting a shift kit, but I am still a noob when it comes to torque convertors. I still need to research about stall speeds and such...

Basically, what I was looking for was parts that I could add, to finish off my H/C/I, that would keep me in a good, preferrably 'torquey' powerband. I want a 5.0 with a good amount of low end power, but that also doesn't just have power just drop off up top. Sounds like the perfect engine I know lol. I may only hit the track 2-3 times a year, so I guess better/more light-light performance is what I am after.

As I said, the Steeda 19's powerband is roughly 2300-6000; this accoding to Steeda.

The Edelbrock Performer, most likely the intake I'll get, has a powerband of idle to 5500.

I figure a stock bottom end 5.0, with almost 140K on it, should be 'safe' to about 5500. Although with the AODE I almost never get it that high.

So...If the engine and intake go to 5500, and the cam to 6000, with the AODE I want some gears that would go with a powerband of say 'idle to 5500.'

Like gcomfx.com said, with 4.10's I might have issues hitting the rev limiter. So I was thinking 3.73's; plus the mostly highway driving.

I just don't want to get every piece right and have one part be the 'bottle neck' of the system. I wasn't to careful and didn't plan ahead when I first got the car, and now that I am finally doing some engine work I want to plan, get the right parts and DO IT RIGHT.

Hope that sheds more light on my goals, and other comments/advice are most welcome. And thanks to gcomfx.com, final_5-0, and dartvader for your imput.

earlys94gt, the intake your planning to use would work fine with those heads,
while the 19 cam would make power to 6000 rpm, there's no way your going to get there with the stock pcm. so a chip would fix that, and the same time fix any issue's you may have with 4:10 gears :shrug:
I really like my 4:10 gears and my car is my daily driver, it not so bad on the highway like most people think, but I guess its a personal preference thing .
if your to concerned about it just go 3:90 .
oh and about the converter you don't have to know anything :D
just call Edgeconverters or Ultimateconverters they know how to set your car up.
but I would just drive it with the stock converter for a while to get a feeling, if you like it leave it alone, if it is to soft on the low end you can always call one of these guys.

like Grady said if your planning to rev that high you need better valvesprings also......

and you can always dyno the car to see where the powerband starts falling of, and then pic a shift point lets say 200 rpms after where it falls of, to take advantage of the cam, then again you need a chip ...

gcomfx.com- that video was helpful :nice:

dartvader- that was sort of my plan from the start.

I was just going to put in the gears and see how it ran.

I am still torn b/w 4.10's and 3.73's. My boss has a Trans-Am with 4.10's and it has awesome acceleration; then again it is a 6 speed.

I might go with some 3.73's because of the 'all around' factor.

I don't do alot of drag racing so the quarter mile isn't that big of a factor.

I also don't plan on reving my car all that high, so the 6K PRM of the cam is just an added bounus I guess.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I wonder why, 'StangNet Killing more AODE cars than any other site.' :rlaugh:

At first I was not too happy with my AODE, as I wanted a 5 speed.

But, after doing some research, I could easily make my AODE perform like a 5 sp.

Plus, my AODE is nice when I'm stuck in traffic.

I figure once I get some gears, shift kit, and maybe a TC, my AODE will be a beast.

I wonder why, 'StangNet Killing more AODE cars than any other site.' :rlaugh:

At first I was not too happy with my AODE, as I wanted a 5 speed.

But, after doing some research, I could easily make my AODE perform like a 5 sp.

Plus, my AODE is nice when I'm stuck in traffic.

I figure once I get some gears, shift kit, and maybe a TC, my AODE will be a beast.

I remember when there was a time on here that ANY thread started about AODE basically turned into a non-stop posting fest on 5-speed swap... 5-speed swap. The person asking for help with their AODE never got it. They were just told it was junk, so swap it. That was probably the day I put that line in my sig.

To this day, I have yet to miss a shift in a race. I've never used the excuse I missed a gear. :rlaugh:

I remember when there was a time on here that ANY thread started about AODE basically turned into a non-stop posting fest on 5-speed swap... 5-speed swap. The person asking for help with their AODE never got it. They were just told it was junk, so swap it. That was probably the day I put that line in my sig.

To this day, I have yet to miss a shift in a race. I've never used the excuse I missed a gear. :rlaugh:

Well ... I'd think by now ... Most know ... I like to shift myself :D

I'll go on record as saying ........

I don't think the auto is junk, inferior or anything along those lines :nono:

I'll also go on record as saying ...........

Do whatever you want to that auto transmission :crazy:

It ain't ever gonna give the SAME EXPERIENCE of driving a stick trans :Word:

Each trans is just different

and IMHO

That don't make one better than the other :nono:

Other things the stick trans has going for it is ....

It does not drain away as much power
and
It works well with cams and such a bit better than the auto without mods

NOW ... Do up a high stall tc & shift kit on the auto trans
and
That is quite another story :nice:

They are just different :)
and
Thats a good thing which gives us all a choice of preference :banana:

Grady

I shift myself.... I just don't use a clutch or take the accelerator off the floor. :D When I turn the bottle on, it sprays from activation to the finishline and never lets up.

And yeah, I can drive a 5-speed. I've never stated this was my preference. I wanted a 5-speed when I bought this car. But here I am, and now that I have the experience, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

I just cringe when someone dogs our cars for having an AUTO in them. But I must admit this attitude people seem to have, gets me a race about anytime I want one.

True story. I had an older gentleman pull up next to me at a Test n Tune night. Seeing as how we were surrounded by full out drag cars I asked him if he wanted to run me so we would wouldn't have to run an 8 second car. We talked mods a bit. He was a bit worried as I had an intake and he didn't. Then he leaned in my car window. Looked at the shifter. Started laughing, and as he walked away he said to his buddies, "What a waste of my time, it's a freakin' automatic".

One of the perks of running a big car club in the area is knowing the track owners and workers. The track starter made sure we ran each other. ;) I not only beat this guy in a near equal car.... it was embarrassing for him. So much so, that he had only run once that night. He didn't park, he didn't talk to any of his buddys that were there. He followed me back through the time shack. And proceeded to drive through the pit area (where I got back in line, hoping he would want a rematch) and he proceeded to drive right out the exit. Never seen him again. :lol:

If the AODE doesn't get them to race, the neon lights will! :rlaugh:

I did want an 5 speed, but at the time I bought mine there were none for sale in my area.

Like Grady said, put a stall convertor and a shift kit in an AODE and we have another story.

My current daily driver is a 5 speed, and I do to some degree wish the 'Stang was too.

I do enjoy, like gcomfx.com said, embarrassing people because my car is supposedly slow because it's an automatic.