Trying To Crank The Motor Have An Issue

hsean

10 Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
dearborn,michigan
with all the spark plugs in and turning the crank i am hearing a noise coming from my clutch area of my trans .i am having a hard time turning this thing over a turn and it seems to come to a stop.i didnt try to do this with all the spark plugs removed and no compression.this motor has been sitting for 4 years with synthetic oil in it.is this normal to get a noise from the trans like this?it did crank for me a few times when my battery was fully charged.

• Sponsors (?)

My guess is its just the compression. Maybe the clutch is engaged? Did you try to roll the car, see if its in gear? Any mods like a cam that would make the valves crash into the pistons?
no stock cam, the motor was previously carbed and ran for less than 2,000 miles then sat in my garage for the last 4 years .i put all new clutch and everything else when i mated the motor and trans.the only thing is the cable which i attached but is not adjusted which has the firewall adjuster do you think this may be the problem?it is not in gear when i am turning the crank but there is definately some rubbing noise coming from the trans

I had something similar happen before when mating the engine/trans. If you don't get them to line up good, things just won't be quite right. I know it sounds like a pain but I'd disconnect the trans and then reattach. At least the driveshaft is off already :)

I had something similar happen before when mating the engine/trans. If you don't get them to line up good, things just won't be quite right. I know it sounds like a pain but I'd disconnect the trans and then reattach. At least the driveshaft is off already :)
thanks i have pretty much relegated myself to the fact that i have to do this just hoping itwas something else, 4 hours ago i was going to drop the trans and instead took my kid to buy him a playstation 3.i know when i drop it i will find the area where it is rubbing.

well my friend whos a mechanic stopped by and thinks it may be the crank bearings when we turn the cranks it comes to s stop.it goes a full turn and then stops but you can hear a metal on metal rubbing. well this definately is a major setback and i am not sure which way to go.this motor is completely stock and has less than 2,000 miles on it.i am now leaning towards buying a crate motor and swapping all my parts over.

Well that sucks! I would pull it down and see, it may be a easy fix well(crank and new bearings). Also make sure you take the trans out of the equation to make certain it is the engine. I could probably help you out on machine work and assembly if your interested.

Scott

Thanks Scott I will definately get ahold of you if it is the crank bearings if I don't go to my kids football practice today I will drop the trans and start investigating hopefully it's something simple like a warped flywheel

thats exactly what it ended up being what a nightmare had it been something else i got the clutch kit from ebay hope i can align this thing right.

ok i will be reattaching the trans to the motor the pressure plate is scraping on the bottom of the bellhousing i got the clutch kit from ebay .i thought i lined it up right when i set it up has anyone ever have this happen to them?i was think of taking a grinder to the bellhousing to clear up a little room and i will be measuring the pressure plate to see if it is the same size as say one at autozone.