Tune-up/Maintenance

SWYZ721

Aug 24, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Ok so I promised myself I'd do this after I bought the car but instead my money went to headers/or pipe/cat-back :p

So now I'm wondering what I should do specifically. The car runs strong although I have yet to run it at the track. But I've stayed with my friends, full intake/exhaust, nitto'd 94 cobra. So the car runs great, but alas it IS 11 years old, although the mileage is low, I would like to change some fluids and possibly plugs/wire/blah blah blah.

The other thing is, nothing is wrong, save for the leaking diff which I need to get on right away. Anybody have a link to a good write-up?

So what should I do as far as fluid/elec maintenance?

• Sponsors (?)

Where is the pumpkin leaking - at the pinion seal or the cover?

The front of the repair manuals usually have maintenance schedules - that can be nice for seeing and noting what all is needed to be done at what intervals (gives an idea of how often some stuff should be done and is a nice list).

Good luck.

SWYZ721 said:
At the cover, and it isn't really leaking, just oozing, in fact I've never really seen the oil wet, just the sludge around it.

Ahh, gotcha. Just pop the bottom of the cover off, drain the fluid, pull it all the way out, take a grinding wheel to it and clean both surfaces off, put the cover back on w/ some RTV, refill it with some 85w90 and 4oz of friction modifier (both can be had at Auto zone) and you are set.

I bought the hand pump that AZ sells that fits the big jugs and it works great.
Scott

The gasket is personal preference. I use a gasket and RTV but some guys like one, the other, or both.

When you take off hard, the pumpkin cover can flex - hence a small bit of seepage at the bottom of where the cover meets the housing. A girdle helps with this, or a lot of guys just accept it.

Good luck.