Tune Up Parts?

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
Rush, NY
I want to start gathering parts for a Spring tune up. What do I need. I have a 1998 4.6 2V GT.

So far all I can think of is.....

Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Cleaner Filter

What all does the 4.6 need? 5.0 I'm good on. 4.6 I'm not sure.... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

squares98 said:
Have you changed all of your fluids recently(trans, diff,brake,etc).
How many miles are on the car,

Trans was recently replaced. So it has fresh fliud in it.
Diff was also recently open for clutch pack rebuild, but it will be reopened in the Spring for gears.
Brake fliud change? ROTFL Sorry. I don't buy into that. As long as the brake fluid isn't contaminated, it gets left alone, or topped off it needs any.

Car has about 82,000 on it. Probably have about 95,000-100,000 by late Spring.

Brake fluid is good for 30k, why not change it? You are 50k over the service interval... Over time it absorbs water and the boiling point gets lower and lower. So yeah, it IS contaminated, with H2O...

tjm73 said:
Never thought about the serpentine belt. Good one. It's on the list.

As is cleaning the MAF meter. :nice: Thanks.
You will get a lot less belt squeal with a gator belt. Also, keep the old belt and a belt removal tool in the spare tire compartment in case of emergency.

Here's my list so far....

Replace Spark Plug Wires
Replace Spark Plugs
Replace Ignition Coils (maybe)
Replace Serpentine Belt
Replace PCV
Replace Air Filter
Replace Fuel Filter
Clean MAF Meter

Clean and fix Tensioner Oil Leak
Check Power Steering Fluid
Check/Replace Brake Fliud

Install 3.73 Gear Set
23 Tooth Speedo Gear

I am going to have to disagree with cleaning the TB. It has a sludge resistant coating and if you try to clean it you will damage this coating :notnice: People will disagree with this but it is straight out of the Haynes manual... And no, there is no "safe" spray type cleaner for this :notnice:

Kilgore Trout said:
I am going to have to disagree with cleaning the TB. It has a sludge resistant coating and if you try to clean it you will damage this coating :notnice: People will disagree with this but it is straight out of the Haynes manual... And no, there is no "safe" spray type cleaner for this :notnice:

Never heard of that, but I'll take your word for it. Sticken from the list.

Not sure if you know, but brake fluid can easily be contaminated and should be flushed/changed roughly every 30k. It is hygroscopic(sp) as it attracts moisture/water and then contaminates the fluid. Once you have water inside the system it corrodes the lines and fittings. Plus it lowers the boiling point of the fluid as there is water now in it.

That is why you never leave open a can of brake fluid.

If you think you dont need to change it, then do not bother with anything as it is just as important. Why change engine oil, when the fluid that is designed to flow through the brake system to STOP YOUR CAR gets hot and contaminated over time and heat from the brake calipers?

blackfang said:
Not sure if you know, but brake fluid can easily be contaminated and should be flushed/changed roughly every 30k. It is hygroscopic(sp) as it attracts moisture/water and then contaminates the fluid. Once you have water inside the system it corrodes the lines and fittings. Plus it lowers the boiling point of the fluid as there is water now in it.

That is why you never leave open a can of brake fluid.

If you think you dont need to change it, then do not bother with anything as it is just as important. Why change engine oil, when the fluid that is designed to flow through the brake system to STOP YOUR CAR gets hot and contaminated over time and heat from the brake calipers?
1) Took ya off my ignore list :D
2) Glad to see we are starting to agree on stuff :nice:
3) Change the brake fluid mang...