Tuner or subframes??

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I've got a 96 Cobra that is my daily driver, few bolt on mods (listed in sig). I really don't have any big plans for it mod wise, just some appearance stuff. I doubt I'll be doing many power mods. Since it is my dd, I'd like to have the best gas mileage possible, and some extra power wouldn't hurt. I am considering a tuner (it would be the SCT XCAL 2) to give me a few extra mpg and maybe more power at the track. I've heard great reviews on subframes, and also that they might help my track times. I'm at 11.4 on a 1000ft track, wanting to break into the 10's. I'm having traction problems, but drag radials are out, so I'm also trying to plan mods according to that. My main concern is driveability, I am looking at the MM full length subframe connectors if I go that route. Either way I'll be looking at ~$250. I'm thinking since my mod list is minimal, and I don't plan on any power mods any time soon (longtubes, lower gears, etc), I'm thinking the subframes will be the way to go. What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't considered that, but I'm open to other suggestions, so if there are others with the same opinion, I'll add it at the top of the list. I've always heard of a "street" tune that would improve fuel economy, maybe that's incorrect, but that is what I need to find out. Thanks.

When I take it easy, I get 22mpg city. I average about 20mpg due to a heavy foot. Worst I've gotten was mixed city/track and 18. Highway I get 24mpg. I'm not complaining with those numbers, but if it would boost my mpg by 1-2 it'd basically pay for itself, that's how I'm looking at it. Thanks for the info.

A driveshaft, along with a set of proper UDP, not piggy backs, will increase MPG by reducing the load placed on the engine/rotating mass. The best underdrive pulleys will actually replace the harmonic balancer/crank pulley with a smaller, lighter one. Steeda makes a great set.

I usually get 17 -18 in the city and 24-25 on the highway, i used to get 22-23 mpg on the highway but I used to drive 80, but since I got a ticket I usually drive around 73 or so. I would say a combination of slowing down and the tuner improved my mpg the 2 mpg

I know the best way to improve fuel economy is to control the right foot, so guess I'll stick with that method as much as possible. After talking to you guys, I'm feeling subframes even more. If it stiffens the chassis and helps keep tires planted, it should be exactly what I need. A friend is running 1/2 second faster than me at the track, but I'm trapping 2mph faster. If I could get off the line, I'd be with running a good bit faster. This is my dd, not a track car, but it is fun to go every now and then, plus subframes will help daily driving from what I hear. Any other opinions on this? Thanks everyone.

OK, looks like tuner is out, won't benefit me as much as the other options. Last thing (I hope) to throw in the loop would be a set of MM lower control arms for the rear. They'll come in at about the same $250. I know they are great, but since I'll be sticking with street tires, not sure if they will benefit me. Also, since daily driving is the main concern, not track times, I'm thinking the subframes will still be at the top, but just wanted to throw this out there. Thanks again.

If you need one more vote for the SF connectors, this is it. IMO, they should be the 1st mod anyone does.

I doubt you'll notice any improved traction, but they may eliminate a few squeaks or rattles that may have developed over the years. Best mod you can do for a rare specimen such as yours.

After that I would go with a tune, because you have a o/r h and catback plus you have a 4-valve so your gains will be greater than a 2v tune, that is the main reason i got my tuner was for my exhaust