Tuner question

myfirstii

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2002
chicago,Il.
I know these questions have probably been asked in the past, so im sorry. But i can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Im not very familar with tuners. Im used to tuning a car with my hands (carbed) not by the computer. I don't want to order the wrong tuner and then be screwed in the end. I have a 07 Gt and its manual. It is completly stock. Which tuner is the best for me? I have heard great things about Doug. But which tuner is better the Diablo or the xcalibrator? What is the difference between these two tuners? Im looking for the best bang for the buck!
Thanks guys,
Pat
Btw-In the future i will add more mods if that makes a difference...

• Sponsors (?)

Both Diablo and SCT are good tuners. What most people do is check around their area to find out which tuner the local shops like and use. That way if you ever decide to get a custom dyno tune from a local shop you can have them work with the tuner they are familiar with.

You can also go the route I chose this time. Everyone in my area prefers Diablo and I've had Diablo tuners in the past but this time I went with SCT and when I get a custom dyno tune I'll just send the info off and have them email me a custom tune to upload too my SCT tuner.

It really comes down to what you prefer as far as tuners go… IMO they are too similar to say one is better than the other.

Doug at bama chips is a ford guru and has a real feel for tunning stangs, he's nationally known and respected. With that said, both tunners have a good reputation, it comes down to perference. I'm an old hippy myself, this tunner thing is new. I don't know what I'm doing thats why I have to trust Doug. Don't worry about a question allready have been ask, about everything has been covered at one time or another, but it continue's to give us things to discuss.

I strongly agree that you find out which tuner your local dyno shop uses? Just in case you eventually want to dyno tune it, and or mod it to the point that you need a custom tune, you wont have to buy a different one..A shop with a good knowledgable tuner is important, especially if you go forced induction..A canned tune just isnt the same...

I just tuned a guys 2007 automatic yesterday and he was estatic to say the least....he has K&N, headers , Xpipe , and flowmasters and said the tuning did more for power than all the previous mods combined ......

+1!
With the few mods to my '06 auto, the SCT was clearly the biggest change as well. I hope to add some UDPs in the next month or so and then have it dyno tuned as well.

So after some more research... I think I might be better off going with an intake/tuner rather than the ford racing handling kit right now.

Which combo kit from Brenspeed have you guys got who have an 06' GT manual? I dont mind spending an extra few bucks on a kit if its worth it.

Also - so I fully understand this dyno talk. If I put on the intake from brenspeed and use their tuner... I can tune with their presets on my own. But I were to put on any more aftermarket mod's - I have to go to a professional (local shop) to get it retuned or if I buy the part from Brenspeed they will supply an updated firmware for my tuner?

I cant believe how much power you can gain from these... Site was stating that some people got 30hp??!

So after some more research... I think I might be better off going with an intake/tuner rather than the ford racing handling kit right now.

Which combo kit from Brenspeed have you guys got who have an 06' GT manual? I dont mind spending an extra few bucks on a kit if its worth it.

Also - so I fully understand this dyno talk. If I put on the intake from brenspeed and use their tuner... I can tune with their presets on my own. But I were to put on any more aftermarket mod's - I have to go to a professional (local shop) to get it retuned or if I buy the part from Brenspeed they will supply an updated firmware for my tuner?

I cant believe how much power you can gain from these... Site was stating that some people got 30hp??!

Both..depending on the mod u do, u may not need to tune for it..If you do, u can get it custom tuned, or, they(Brenspeed or whoever) can burn u new tune with ur latest mods on it..

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/airkittuner.html

05-07 MUSTANG GT BBK AIR INTAKE TUNER PACKAGE - $599
JLT 2 INTAKE W/ XCAL2 05-07 GT - $554
05-07 MUSTANG GT STEEDA INTAKE / TUNER KIT - $624.00
05-06 MUSTANG GT K&N AIR INTAKE & X-CALIBRATOR 2 - $589.99
05-08 MUSTANG GT AIRAID INTAKE TUNER PACKAGE - $654.00
05-08 MUSTANG GT CARBON FIBER TUNABLE INDUCTION PACKAGE - $569.00

Which of the ones above that brenspeed offer for my year should I go with?