Tuning

37ford

Jun 12, 2002
MS
I just got my new GT, and I'm new to the whole electronic tuning world. My experience is in carburated engines, and there is a lot of gray area concerning these plug-in tuners.

I'd like to just remove the hydrocarbon filter and tune the engine, but I'm not sure how those things work. Is it trial and error, or are they pre-set to know what the optimun set-up is?

I've looked at the SCT Xcalibrator, but I'm still not sure what it does. do you have to download the program? Is it a one and done thing?

Could someone elaborate on these things, please?

• Sponsors (?)

Normally, the tune would be done while reading the A/F ratio with a wide-band meter. Most of the SCT people have tested already so they know about where to start and then fine tune from there. You would probably be a little safer with a mail order tune but I think that nothing beats a good dyno tune. As far as the Xcailbrator, you should receive it with a tune already in it. You hook it up to the diagnostic port under the driver's side dash and follow the instruction manual from there. If you ever need a retune, then you can get one from your dealer in an email or download. You can connect the Xcalibrato to your computer with a serial cable and then download the new tune to your car. It is pretty simple really. As long as you do not get over-aggressive, then you should be fine.

Another thing to mention is that SCT (either has or will be releasing) software for your PC that allows you to do a limited set of fine-tuning operations that you can download to the device and subsequently to the car.

37ford said:
I just got my new GT, and I'm new to the whole electronic tuning world. My experience is in carburated engines, and there is a lot of gray area concerning these plug-in tuners.

I'd like to just remove the hydrocarbon filter and tune the engine, but I'm not sure how those things work. Is it trial and error, or are they pre-set to know what the optimun set-up is?

I've looked at the SCT Xcalibrator, but I'm still not sure what it does. do you have to download the program? Is it a one and done thing?

Could someone elaborate on these things, please?

Here's some good info:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prod...stang_tune.html

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=52