Turbo kit for a 302 on a 351?

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
Due to my lack of fabrication skills, I am contemplating buying a turbo kit from an online company. My question is, when I swap in the 351 (which is wider and taller) I might run into shock tower clearance problems with the exhaust manifolds or turbo placement. Not to mention the downpipe would be in a different spot.

Anyone here know of any kits that might fit? Aren't all of the available kits passenger mount for the turbo? It seems like a kit with the turbo on the drivers side would have more room for the bigger motor. :shrug:

Am I regulated to a custom kit or a supercharger?

• Sponsors (?)

That site is great and will fill you in with all you need to know.

I'am with you in the same boat right now with an SN95 needing a 351w kit. They do not EXIST. You will have to modify one or have one built for your needs. I'am having a company going to use mine to make a kit and in return get a bad ass price on the kit.

I've spent allot of time on that site in the past, I'm just not too sure I have the skills to make my own kit.

The problem with getting someone to make a custom kit is cost. I'm not going to spend $6K to have someone build a kit, I'd rather go with an S-trim or keep it N/A. On the other hand, I suppose I could get on the local mustang site and see if anyone around can do it...... :shrug:

DougNuts said:
I've spent allot of time on that site in the past, I'm just not too sure I have the skills to make my own kit.

The problem with getting someone to make a custom kit is cost. I'm not going to spend $6K to have someone build a kit, I'd rather go with an S-trim or keep it N/A. On the other hand, I suppose I could get on the local mustang site and see if anyone around can do it...... :shrug:
Talk to local fabricators, bring to the table as many parts as you can, IC, piping... what ever anything to cut down costs. It won't be 6k. A S/C is a nice option that costs less and is easier to do... but what do you really want?

I gotta stick to my turbo dreams. :flag:

I think the downpipe would be your only big issue. Also turbo to intercooler piping. I think it could be done pretty easy. You might just need the downpipe modified and the turbo to intercooler piping could be addressed with a different silicone hose. Im not totally sure on this but I think that is about it. Post a link of the kit you are thinking about and I will let you know the best I can.

Just get a sportsman block or r302 if your feeling really crazy and crank up the boost. If you really want, you can stroke those too. I dont think you will get much of a difference in power unless you plan on stroking the winsor too.

stang_gt_1994 said:
I think the downpipe would be your only big issue. Also turbo to intercooler piping. I think it could be done pretty easy. You might just need the downpipe modified and the turbo to intercooler piping could be addressed with a different silicone hose. Im not totally sure on this but I think that is about it. Post a link of the kit you are thinking about and I will let you know the best I can.

The cross over pipe (single turbo kit) will be different as well since the motor is wider. The headers will not work either. All in all the whole 302 turbo kit will be useless except for most of the intercooler piping.

yellow1995Cobra said:
The cross over pipe (single turbo kit) will be different as well since the motor is wider. The headers will not work either. All in all the whole 302 turbo kit will be useless except for most of the intercooler piping.

The headers should bolt right up if I use heads with stock location exhaust ports. The problem I forsee is running into clearance issues with the strut towers, and of course all of the others you guys brought up. Looks like custom is the only way to go. I'll probably end up with a S/C.

what about remote mounting the turbos in the back. that type of kit uses stock exhaust till you get to the midpipe, so in theory you could get 351 headers and then just bolt it right up to the turbo half. my only thoughts would be the tubing from the intercooler to the intake would need to modded slightly to allow for the taller deck height of the 351