turbo vs supercharger

acsostang

Dec 30, 2003
tampa, FL
Why does it seem when you have two similar outputs, the supercharged stang comes out of the whole first, but the turbo stang catches it and pass it to win the 1/4 mile race? I've seen it dozens of times at the track at NMRA and Fun Ford Events. I've noticed that the Procharger F series blowers seem to be the only superchargers capable of hanging with the turbos. The turbos are a little slow out the whole then the full boost kicks in around the 300ft mark causing a little swiggle in the rear end and here it comes.

Could this explain why Supra turbos are such beasts on the highway? I have a good friend here in Tampa who owns a 645rwhp Kenne Bell '04 Cobra, he raced a 636rwhp/701rwtq Supra w/a single 71mm turbo. Neither car has Nitrous and both have Nittos. From a dead stop the Cobra pulled hard out the whole, leaving the Supra 1.5-2 cars behind. I thought sure this was a victory for the Cobra. But as speeds got into the triple digits you could see the Supra HID headlights getting closer in the rear view mirror and realing the Cobra in. By 130, the Supra passed us and was pulling us hard. The top end pull on those cars is amazing and it PISSES me OFF! The Supra put on the hazards to indicate the win.

Race #2 from a 45 roll, Cobra jumps out about a 1 car length, stays there until 120, and the Supra passes again, leaving us 2 cars and pullin'

Race 3, from a 65 roll, same story. You could hear the loud BOV and the hissing of the Supra turbo as it passed. At the track the Supra runs 10.05's@141. The Cobra runs 10.4's@132 (similar outputs, yet the Supra is nearly 10 mph faster in quarter mile)

After the loss my friend is seriously considering a swap to a turbo, as well as myself. But I like the instant power of the superchargers. It seems to me as speeds increase, superchargers loose their effieciency, as it is just the opposite for turbos?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)