Turbo VS SUPERCHARGING, BASSANI EXHAUST???

creilly84

Jan 18, 2004
What is the best and I mean the best money can buy for performance and sound for a 1994 mustang gt?

Is a supercharger going to give more power then a turbo. I've heard that novi 2000s are pretty good, what is the best and why? Also is bassani the best exhaust you can buy? Most gains? best sound?

• Sponsors (?)

Turbos are the best hands down. They typically can make full boost by 3k rpms, making great power under the curve. Where as a centrifugal sc (like the novi 2k) wont make full boost until 5000-5500 rpm's.

But turbos are more costly then sc's.

On the FAQ(top of this forum) sheet there is the muffler shoot out, showing which muffler gave the most power and which was loudest.

Uh oh, another super vs. turbo thread :bang:

just kidding :nice:

There are plenty of arguements as to which is better. You can't really say which is better, it's all in what your goals and constraints are. But some of the main points are:

1. Turbos are alot more efficient, meaning you should be able to put more power to the road with the same amount of boost. The power curve will be broader than the (centrifugal) blower, so more acceleration throughout the power band.

2. Turbo kit's tend to cost more than a typical blower kit, but there is the option of the junkyard kit if you have the intuition of MacGuyver.

3. Turbo kit's are not easy to intall and take alot of time.

4. Turbo's make really really cool sound effects, as we all know.

5. Superchargers usually come from large companies with good technical support and policies, so the buyer may feel more comfortable with the purchase. Whereas the turbo kits come from smaller shops with a smaller customer base, and although the company may be the most honest and caring in the world, it's difficult to know that and turbo companies usually make the kits on order so it takes forever to get it and the probability of something being off is high. It may not be an issue, but it still takes time to send parts back and forth.

One thing is for sure, my first power adder is going to be a KB 1500. Turbo's are way out of my league!

Ultimately the turbo will win out in most cases. Far as Exhaust...The Bassani O/R X and Bassani aftercat's the best move I've made. Have yet to hear a stang around my parts as good as mine...Except the other ones running Bassani. Spintech I've heard good things about too, just never heard one in real.

creilly84 said:
What is the best and I mean the best money can buy for performance and sound for a 1994 mustang gt?

Is a supercharger going to give more power then a turbo. I've heard that novi 2000s are pretty good, what is the best and why? Also is bassani the best exhaust you can buy? Most gains? best sound?

Is this a bone stock 94 GT? If it is and you haven't done any mods yourself, I would say both a supercharger or a turbo kit would be getting in pretty deep for a 'first mod'. I'm not saying you shoudn't do it, just that unless you've worked on your car some before (which you may very well have), this project may be a bit much. I think it good to do some minor things to 'get aquainted' with your car before tackling such a major project.

Ar far as the supercharger v. turbo question, I vote turbo. Good luck whatever you decide. :nice:

A friend of mine has a GN. It's so sick!!!

Like stated above. Turbo's reach max boost earlier, so you will see X psi at 3k all the way to 6k. The wastegate is the main control of boost. Without it, the turbo would spin faster and faster and give too much boost.

Installation is definately harder. You need a h or x-pipe setup for long tubes for the new turbo exhaust manifold. So welding is required.

With a S/C, you can get boost with less hassle. I am in your dilemma right now and so is my brother. But for the extra $1000-$1500, I think turbo is worth it. It's VERY easy to upgrade the turbo. You can increase boost w/ an adjustable wastegate (most aftermarket wastegates are adjustable, I think)

A supercharger (both centrifugal/roots) require a new belt and a smaller pulley to increase boost, and they aren't cheap.

You can run the turbo at very little boost (during daily driving mode). But when you are ready to have some fun, you can crank the boost. You can run 11psi at the track, 8psi on the weekends, and less than that while driving around to keep your engine intact. Very flexible.

But a vortech S/C at 8psi isn't that expensive. I have seen them brand new on ebay for $2500. All you have to do to stay at low boost is not rev past 3k rpm's.
Scott