Turbos and all that fun stuff

Anti Rice 1

Oct 16, 2003
Hi everyone, i am a long time lurker...and i now feel the need to ask a question.

A problem has presented itself...my friends firehawk was beaten by an auto trans am last night...they were talking all kinds of trash about special editions, cobras, and really just stangs in general...Well my solution is the 95 GT 5 speed setting in my garage...now i know it can in no way even keep up with that trans am stock..so what im looking for is a good twin turbo setup....Ive got heads, IM, CAI, 3.55:1 rear ends, cam, headers, off-road h-pipe, catback, 70 mm throttle body, 190lph fuel pump,and drag radials ordered, im looking at about 350 hp 350 tq right now, but beating them isnt enough..i want to make sure there is no doubt....money isnt an object..but i would like to keep it as minimal as possible...ive already got quite a chunk of money invested ion a car with 99k miles on it....

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First of all whats done to that Trans AM? A good H/C/I Mustag with 3.73 gears should be able to beat a stock T/A no problem. The H/C/I should be making around 300rwhp and when you add a blower, depending on the boost you run, you should see over 400rwhp easily. We need to know more about this T/A before we can tell you if a twin turbo setup will beat it... but it probably will.

<marquee>
bear_den_welcome_mat_400.jpg
</marquee>

Hope you find what you need over here!
RC

Thanks for the welcome guys,

well the firehawk dynoed at 350 hp and 360tq, the t/a was stock, the problem isnt beating the car..its beating the driver...he thinks because he gets the hole shot that he wins, we passed him at 80 in the hawk and he still insists that he won....but the hawk traps in the 12's...out of three races, one race the hawk was killed and restarted, passed the t/a at 130, we passed the t/a everytime, but he still magically won...He also tells everyone how crappy mustangs are, and how much superior his trans am is to everything, I want to build the stang so i can warm up on trans ams....the only way i see to beat the guy is too rip him at takeoff and never let him catch up....

H/C/I ??? heads cam intake??? im a n00b at acronyms

I know the previos post is kinda childish in my need to womp the trans am....but im so fed up with these damn ricers its starting to mess with my better judgement, hell we stopped traffic in the SRT so we could race a foxbody last night...we won by the way...go turbo!!!

H/C/I is heads cam intake. If your beating the T/A owner and hes making up all thoes excuses, hes just mad that he paid all that money for his car and still loses. Simple way to solve this... get him to go to a track with you and spank him there. Or get some slicks and launch your car hard and pull on him from the start. Your car shouldnt have any problem beating him especially if the T/A is an LT1

No, the firehawk was losing off the take off, the t/a would own us up till midway through 2nd gear when we started to catch him, at around 80 mph we would start to pass him and he would throw on his brakes and then say he won....off the line that car is like a bat outta hell, but once the hawk could get some traction it was all over...It was an LS1 BTW, LT1's aint got ****....The hawk and a blown foxbody around here have made that point several times.....so, with H/C/I the 5.0 will make 300 hp give or take...hmmmmm

And yeah we asked him to take it to the track because we obviously could not get any traction on the street(think the cops will notice 60feet of rubber), he said sorry, only run her on the street. I immediatly responded, Why, think you'll kill it? His car was an auto and he said we didnt know how to drive. Yeah, sure takes a lot of skill putting it in drive...

No offence to you auto guys....

And yes, i should just let it go, but the fact is that the stang still needed to be built, and well, this ass gave me an excuse, plus a goal...i want to be able to walk an LS1 powered Corvette or T/A :spot:

Thanks

just leave the car alone, and buy a turbo kit for it.. You wont have a problem taking on any "stock" LS1/LT1... Most of the kits come with just about everything needed to make serious power on a stock mustang.

oh yea, and some...

-drag radials
-shifter
-subframe conectors
-and any tune up related items
-needed gauges ( boost, fuel pres) (recomended) oil pres, water temp

well, ive already ordered the parts, wouldnt the improved flow of aftermarket heads, intake manifold, and exhaust really help with forced induction? I mean with all that air wouldnt it move around a lot faster with the bigger free flowing ports and such?

shweet! Just one problem i see with turbo setups, they only feed from one exhaust manifold, wouldnt that hurt the engine, isnt there inyway to use both maniflods to spin the turbo?

1105 said:
First of all whats done to that Trans AM? A good H/C/I Mustag with 3.73 gears should be able to beat a stock T/A no problem. The H/C/I should be making around 300rwhp and when you add a blower, depending on the boost you run, you should see over 400rwhp easily. We need to know more about this T/A before we can tell you if a twin turbo setup will beat it... but it probably will.

For quarter mile acceleration Id suggest a large, single turbo unit over a twin turbo setup, main reason most of the supra and rx7 guys do that is to save space under the hood, eliminate a lot of cooling and reliability problems, and better gains through the 1/4, you only lose initial throttle response because you dont have the stacked turbos helping each other out, thus experiencing "turbo lag".

Anti Rice 1 said:
shweet! Just one problem i see with turbo setups, they only feed from one exhaust manifold, wouldnt that hurt the engine, isnt there inyway to use both maniflods to spin the turbo?

Actually, most motors running two exaust manifolds and a turbo have both exaust pipes running from the manifolds and being collecting into a larger pipe that branches off before the turbo for the wastegate before entering the turbo, in which it is spun and thrown back out towards the back of the car in the exaust system.

I personally run a twin turbo setup, I liked the way she spooled in the low rpms... I like the sound of twins, and I like 11second 1/4miles... eventho she is capable of 10's... and she will be running and setup for low 10's this coming spring. I had something like 2300rpms, she would be at around 5psi~... exact rpms escape me at the moment.

OINK(member on this forum) is running a SINGLE setup, longer spool time.... something like 3500rpm's+.

As well as I(on the other stang), and I just dont like the long wait...

Dont worry about that exhaust theory. It is just free energy that will be put into great use.

The problem is you have to mix and match your combo with the proper turbo configuration.

You cant go too small, as it will creat imense amount of exhaust backpressure. You cant go too big, as it will take forever to spool.

As I said before, when it comes to turbos... www.turbomustangs.com is you best bet.

Or if you feel brave you can follow my shoes and just build your own, this is my 3rd turbo system I built so far. But this is my first attempting this sort of setup.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=416953

Pete

Turbo is the only way, IMO, to go. Then just show it to him and not race him, telling him his car is POS. After a couple of months getting use to it, tell him for $500 you will race him. He should shut up or lose $500.

Paul

ill chime in on the Turbo vs blower debate when i get back from class this afternoon but just a quick observation about the race....if your blowing by him at 80 or so you WILL win at the track......plain and simple.....if the car is capable of running some 12's then its trapping 100+ no boubt....so if your passing at 80 it would only be worse 20mph later.....

Anthony

I know this, the firehawk guy knows this..the jackass in the t/a doesnt know it....and truthfully most turbo kits(for the sn95) ive seen have one header, and one turbo manifold....whats the deal?