Two 1968 Mustangs

Alex Jasso

Nov 14, 2016
Me and my father managed to pick up two 1968 mustangs. We bought both cars at $3500 ($1750 a piece) which in our opinion was a stupid good deal. We both was hoping to get some knowledge and know how from some mustang guys. I'll post some pictures later in the post.

My presidential blue 1968 mustang came with a 302 motor. But his came with a 289 motor. Is there a reason for this variation?

We all know cars of this caliber are definitely cheap for a reason so I'll cover both cars.

My car: 1) My car was in a accident luckily it was only fender damage and no damage to the frame at all. The car at the time of purchase was already pulled apart. But he kept all the parts and purchased replacements for 90% of the damaged ones.

2) Unfortunately the motor and transmission IS NOT ORIGINAL. It has a 302 motor with 351 heads. For those reasons alone I will not go with a restoration. I will be putting my own spin onto the outside of the car. But the inside I will mock the original interior but in a different color.
IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG

My only question is there anything that the this mustang is infamous for? And is there anything I need to keep a eye out for while going into the build?

My dads: His car in my opinion is a little worse off. The leather top has completely deteriorated and in process of the leather being wet it destroyed the roof it's rusted out on the inside. But he is also going to pull his motor and tranny and get them rebuilt.
IMG_0199.JPG

We will take and accept all and any advice, ideas, or recommend your recommendations. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Are the numbers matching on your dad's car? If they are it's possible Ford used a late 67 motor setup.manufactures have been know to use existing year parts.Or maybe the past owner had the 289 laying around, and the 302 that was in it was blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to stangnet.

I'll move your thread through the classic subforum. The guys there will be able to help you out.

Good to have you and your dad with us.

Are the numbers matching on your dad's car? If they are it's possible Ford used a late 67 motor setup.manufactures have been know to use existing year parts.Or maybe the past owner had the 289 laying around, and the 302 that was in it was blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The previous owner claimed it was other than the tranny and we can't find a way to verify that. I tried looking for a 11 digit vin decoder. I eventually did but it only told me the location it was built, year it was built, and its production number but that is all I have been able to dig up. I don't know where else to go to talk to so I'm here. I can give you the Vins if you like. And I've noticed a metal thing on the door too. ( it tells the year body type and all that and I don't know how to decipher those either.

This is my VIN:8T01C137728
The car it's self has a 302 emblem on the side so since it is supposed to have a 289 motor? That means some one threw it on there?

Last edited:
The 8 means it is a 68 ,the T stands for the plant where it was build / Metuchen NJ. . 01 means it is a hard top. The C means it had a 289 2V, and since Ford started the production numbers at 100,000 your car is number 37728 .Your door tag will give more information .

The 8 means it is a 68 ,the T stands for the plant where it was build / Metuchen NJ. . 01 means it is a hard top. The C means it had a 289 2V, and since Ford started the production numbers at 100,000 your car is number 37728 .Your door tag will give more information .

Okay I found a data plate "reader" so I guess some one slapped a 302 in it a put a new emblem on the sides. That is exactly what I wanted to know. And is this type of damage repairable? Or does it have to be refabricated? I'm only talking about where the trunk lid sits.
IMG_0250.JPG

Just from that pic you will need a full quarter panel. The trunk lip can be straightened out depending on the skills of whoever is doing the straightening. I imagine the inner fender well is probly somewhat damaged and could probly be straightened out?