Two amp/sub setups... $100... which one?

dstang01

Sep 22, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I need a bit of advice, Im looking for some cheap bass for my stang. Audio is not something Ive planned to spend money on, but Ive gotten the bug lately after listening to my buddys setup, and since I have a new alpine head unit anyways why not? :nice: Here are my two choices, Ive talked both sellers down to $100. Which would you buy and why?

1: Clarion amp and kicker 10" sub in a sealed box
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/ele/736020389.html

2: Rockford Fosgate Amp and Sony Xplod 10" Sub in a ported box
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/ele/739982690.html
(Ive attached a picture of this setup that was emailed to me)

Keep in mind, Im not looking for cream of the crop components, just something cheap to do the job. Ive got a 1994 gt convertible, if that somehow changes anything. I appreciate your opinions :SNSign:

Attachments

• july 08 043.jpg
    july 08 043.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea.. used merchandise isnt as good as buying new, but Im not in the position to buy new.. do you think this equipment is a bad deal at a mere $100?

ok let me rephrase.. if you had $100 to spend on a used subwoofer setup, which of the above two would you prefer?

You obviously understand what buying used entails. What wattage are the amps and what models are they? (Mecp 1'st class installer until I changed carrers in '05) The ported box will give you more, but somewhat sloppy sound. The sealed is best suited for subs being "maxed out" i.e. the amp is driving the sub with more than enough power. (Youll get max SPL, but not the most efficient.) Given the choices you have listed, I'd go clarion/ kicker. However I'll admit I don't have much personal experince with clarion.

Yea.. used merchandise isnt as good as buying new, but Im not in the position to buy new.. do you think this equipment is a bad deal at a mere $100?

ok let me rephrase.. if you had $100 to spend on a used subwoofer setup, which of the above two would you prefer?

I hear ya, I would have to pick the first one because the clarion is a five channel amp. I am unsure of the power ratings, but the amp would allow you later to push the rest of the speakers if you ever went aftermarket.

I think you will be disappointed with the sony. I have tried those red cones and wasnt impressed at all. If you were closer I have a new Exile 10" that Im selling. If it was me I would just get a nice 12" in a sealed box, good tight bass. Lots of good deals at caraudio.com or diymobileaudio.com

So it sounds like theres no obvious choice between the two? Im sort of leaning towards the sony. Only thing is the ported box is so huge, but it should provide more bass than the sealed one.. so oh well

I think that Xplod junk is a bunch of crap.

Don't let the kicker scare you. I am pushing a 10 inch kicker in my MTX enclosure that I bought in 1992. They are bulit pretty solid. Well, at least the one I have.

I had those Kickers too, in my old Acura, the guy I bought it from told me he installed the system way back in 1996... but I used those subs until 2004 and they bumped loud and clear until I finally got rid of them.

Kenwood subs are decent, their Excelon subs are pretty nice. (I really like their old DB+ subs) No clue as to the Targa amp. However If you look at the fuse size and use ohms law you can get an Idea of what the amp might be capable of.

go with the kickers. they're older model subs, back when kicker wasn't as commercial so they will be good. clarion is also a good brand as far as car audio is concerned.

while rockford is a good commercial brand, sony xplod is not. that sub will soon pop if it haven't yet.

another thing, sealed boxes generally sound tighter and hit harder than a ported box. thats another thing going in favor of the kicker.

so yeah, if i had $100 to throw on some car audio id definately go with that first setup.

:nice:

Clarion and kicker is a better product thats for sure,

But you have to ask why they are selling it?? You never know what he blew up when it was uninstalled. Chances are he did it himself and good knows what he did.

Save your Money $250-$300 will be a good middle of the road setup amp and sub. If your buying New i usually tell people you will need at least $500.

$100=sub
$50 =box
$75 =wires
$200=ok amp
$75 =Professional Install (unless you really know what your doing)

Doing it right the first time will mean your system will last that much longer and having it professionally installed gives you a place to turn for help in the future if something happened.

What i learned the hard way...
Don't cheap out it will end up costing you more in the END!! You will Hack it all together and something won't work and you will spend more time and money trying to fix it than you would have spent if you just saved more money the first time.