u/d pullies affect chargingsignificantly??

[QUOTE='94ChickStang]Also does the fact that you have a GTS help that w/ the absense of power wins/locks ect or am I way off ??[/QUOTE]

The only time that the power windows/locks affect the electrical system is when you're using them. And my best guess says that the power used in the 5 seconds to roll up windows and 1/2 second to lock the doors is returned by the alternator within a second or two.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure why it hasn't been brought up before now, but retain your factory alternator pulley and this will help with the charging issue. Your car will not charge as much as it was intended to with underdrives and the factory altenator. With this being said however, Underdrives and/or Gears should be one of the first things you do to your mustang without a worry.

Don't think twice about installing underdrives unless you won't be "getting on it" at all or you are going to be running a S/C in the next couple of months.

1994Vib.RedGT said:
if you leave the stock alternator pulley on, does that completley void the whole issue with charging/surging and the such, or just lessen the degree to which the problem occurs?

Technically the alternator will still be spinning slower since the crank pulley is larger, but no problems with charging should come of it.

But honestly, I think the entire charging issue with UDPs has gotten really out of hand. A few people have had issues and now everyone is gun shy. If you have a multiple amp stereo system, then yes, the fears are justified. But I hear people with bone stock electrical systems shaking in their boots about UDPs leaving them stranded on the highway due to charging problems.

Get the pullies if you want the performance advantages. Install them. If issues come of the alternater turning slower, reinstall the stock alt pulley and sell the underdrive alt pulley for a few bucks. Someone will buy it.

you SHOULD be able to. I got the MAC aluminum UD's and the instructions said that i should be able to use my stock belt. When i threw them on, i went to put my belt back on and it was no where NEAR going on. I don't know what happened with that, but i ended up getting a motocraft belt from pep boys.

baglock1 said:
Technically the alternator will still be spinning slower since the crank pulley is larger, but no problems with charging should come of it.

wouldnt a bigger crank pulley make the alternator pullel turn faster?

not to tak anything away form yourpost, but maybe you kno sumthing i dont. would a 3g alternater solve this dimming stuff? or with a totally stock car (inc. radio) and a 3g be too much?

donjohn said:
who cares... extra hp and the lights dim a little when you stop? mine's a dd and it's fine- true seeing the lights dim then brighten is annoying sometimes, but you get over it

Somebody like me cares when u get off work one night and your battery light comes on and u think maybe the battery is low on water nope thats not it I didn't think to disconnect the + to see if the car would cut off anyway to make a long story short I will be getting a bigger alt soon. Like alot of people didn't really notice any big gains.

someday maybe i'll be able to help out on this subject i got pulleys but haven;t put the alt one on yet. With all teh extra lights and stuff i have on mine i'm sure if theres charging issues I will have them. As far as the cooling goes haven't seen a problem with mine.

Lets just end the alt question once and for all just do a alt delete when you do the smog pump and ac and there will be no question

(someday maybe i'll stop being such a smartass too lol)

I don't have the alt pulley installed (mostly because I don't have an air impact wrench to take it off) and my lights dim a little at idle. Even when I have my stereo blasting (Pretty much a stock Mach 460) and headlights on, there is no problem. I've never heard of anyone beging stranded because of U/D pulleys and they are a good value.

fox racer said:
wouldnt a bigger crank pulley make the alternator pullel turn faster?

not to tak anything away form yourpost, but maybe you kno sumthing i dont. would a 3g alternater solve this dimming stuff? or with a totally stock car (inc. radio) and a 3g be too much?
A 3g alt will solve this dimming prob but it cost over $300 and that to me just isn't worth it. I have an aftermarket cd player evertthing else (electronicly speaking) is stock and my batt is fine no starting probs at all. As far as a bigger crank making the alt spin faster not sure but that's kinda missing the point you want a smaller crank pulley to spin the crank a bit faster that's it's purpose to my understanding.

I recently put a set on mine, and they affected it. The only electrical thing I have is a CD deck. I don't even use the fogs anymore. My lights do dim a bit at lights, and my battery gauge's highest reading goes down little by little evey couple weeks (Reads a bit higher in the cold like when you store batteries in the fridge) Basically they are killing my battery ever-so-slowly. BUT...I like them, and will keep them, because I have no huge sterio, and I dont mind the dim lights....I just bought some of those "really white" bulbs, to that the don't dim tooo yellow....lol

Here is a different by-product of running pulleys.

The pcm's adaptive strategy will have to compensate for the lower voltage at idle which causes it to drift farther form it's normal values and can, I repeat can, cause you to go too rich or lean at idle. The lean part you can tolerate but if you go too rich then you end up at surge city.

Just some stuff I learned the hard way by looking at datalog trends while working on my idle.

Later
Grady