Uh-oh... 1998 V6 Auto Mustang bucks and stalls when put in gear

This doesn't sound too good folks. I have a 98 v6 Stang, pretty much bone stock, with just the CAI and a 40 series Flowmaster... 103400 miles. Ran like a top until today.... I was going about 40, and was slowing down at a red light. I felt the car buck alot, and when I finally came to the stop, the car just died. I started it again, in park, and it idles fine, i hear no noises and smell no smells- nothing at all is leaking. But, the second I put it into Reverse, Drive, 2 or 1, it bucks a little bit and immediately stalls out, and it stalls out quick and hard.... It almost feels like stalling out driving a stick-shift.

I have no idea what the heck it could be .... I was told it is probably not the torque converter because I would have seen some leakage (right?) ... This sucks!!! Haha

Well basically I am wondering, what is it and how much am i looking at to fix it; could I do it myself, etc. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated, I know you folks know what you're talking about. Thanks a ton.

---Siraco

p.s- I DID hit a pretty big puddle yesterday, lightning struck a house a few houses down from me and broke the water main... Maybe it is just a shorted wire or a dirty / malfunctioning sensor? God, that'd be good news, haha.Also i am not getting a check engine light at startup..

• Sponsors (?)

I've only had the car since August, and it's always maintained a full tranny fluid level, and the color is nice and red.

I've seen lots of cars with blown trannies, when they are shifted into gear, they do not stall out... they just don't move, at all. My car is not leaking, not burning.. anything.

It is not a fuel issue and I am kind of doubting it is the IAC because when I give it gas and "neutral drop" it into gear, it just stalls out harder.