Update on my gear problem

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
For those that dont remember, i have been dealing with my gears problem for about 2 months now and finally got it resolved. I got a set of Motive 3.90's installed and they whined like a bitch. Had them replaced with another set of Motive 3.90's and installed by a different shop, they whined even worse. Last week, i decided screw it and just ended up going with FRPP 3.73's, and finally peace and quiet.

What have i learned through all this?

Well, no matter how good the installers say they are and how much experience they have had installing a ton of gears, ask them specifically if they have installed Motive's. For some wierd reason, Motive's (at least the 3.90 ratio) have really tight tolerances and have to be EXACTLY within specs or they will whine like a banshee. Even though Ford says that the backlash is good within a certain range, thats always not the case for Motive's. It seems like it was a trial and error process of installing and checking the tooth pattern and making sure it was exactly on. Well, both professional shops with years of experience and hundreds of installs under their belt slapped them in and called it good enough since it was within ford specs. Both installs from two different shops, the tooth pattern was off (barely) and they whined to where i think FRPP gears wont whine if they are off the same amount. And you got to love douche bag installers that argue with you and say they are 100% positive there install was perfect and its the gears not the install. They didnt want to take care of the problem at all and refused to believe me when i said that the tooth pattern was off. I decided to go with FRPP since its way to hard and a shot in the dark finding a installer good enough to put in Motive's. So i had my choice to make which was FRPP 4.10 or 3.73. And since i have a vortech sitting in my garage to be installed, i went with the 3.73's. I really miss them 3.90's though, its a huge noticable difference between those and the 3.73, the car is no where near as fun to drive, but hopefully that will all be relative once my supercharger gets installed.

• Sponsors (?)