Fox Upgrades To Do While Engine Is Pulled?

dnbonds

Dec 17, 2013
Hampton, VA
I am not entirely sure when I'll get it pulled. Hopefully sometime before the end of this month. I know nothing about rebuilding engines besides some youtube videos that seemed helpful. I am having a well known engine builder do all of this for me. He is actually a friend of the family and has agreed to let me watch him rebuild it so I can get some experience. Same guy that has worked on my brakes.

Anyways.... I do not have a massive budget to do this with but was wondering what would be some worth while upgrades. I am planning on boring to a 306 if my budget allows, I am expecting $1,000 to $1,500 total. I will get an estimate from him this Tuesday when he fixes an exhaust leak and puts new mufflers on. The only thing I want to do in the future is maybe a turbo so I would need forged pistons right? Or would the cheaper hyper pistons work? What would be the best rebuild kit along with upgrades that are easily done with the engine pulled?

It will still be a DD and I was satisfied with the speed it "had." I don't bring it much over 2K RPMs anymore due to a small tick coming from the engine. The turbo, if I go that route, won't be for a few years. I'll be satisfied with the 200ish HP this engine will make when it has been refreshed. I do not expect to see anymore than 300ish HP if I ever do the turbo.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're looking for 300hp at the wheels, just get yourself a nice heads/cam/intake setup and call it a day. It will be much simpler than a turbo and will not cause you any headaches. Forced induction opens up a whole new world of potential problems. Just get your engine breathing well and you'll be very happy.

what transmission are you running ? I think we on the same path :) , I think you should pay a professional and let him build what you want, throw him 20k and tell him call you when the car is super man.

well you are young and getting ready to go to bootcamp iirc.

do a "nice" hci and rebuild bottom. closer to the crank the more labor time..so do the rebuild first, then cam and heads, intake. that will cover your 1500 plus unless the friend is doing you a huge favor...

then you boost later, change intake etc later.... as youll want to...

I think others are better qualified as to set-up....

So with just an H/C/I I could just go with hypers instead of forged? Assuming I stay close to 300HP in the future.

With a turbo, on an essentially stock motor, you'll be making well over 300 RWHP, probably closer to 400. But as @RacEoHolic330 stated, it can open up a whole new world of problems. I thought about going the turbo route on my stock motor, but when i did a google search of different turbo builds on stock 5 liters, it was enough to change my mind. basically budget however much the turbo kit costs, and then another couple grand for when :poo: starts breaking.

Staying with a good heads, cam and intake setup will make close to 300 HP or more and it'll be easier on the motor. Cost can vary, depending on whether you go with an off the shelf kit like the Trick Flow kit, or you piece it together yourself. Theres tons of threads on StangNet on different builds and you can gain more knowledge and be better informed on what the best route is for you to go.

Reactions: 1 user
My main question right now is any mods or upgrades I could do that are not for the engine? I only plan to rebuild the engine at the moment, no HCI yet. The 30 over bore I will only do if my cylinders are in bad condition.

BTW, you guys have changed my mind. I am no longer set on a Turbo anymore. HCI would probably be best.

well you are young and getting ready to go to bootcamp iirc.

Yes I do have basic on July 1st and I am killing myself exercise wise lol. I am getting this engine rebuilt so I can enjoy it (no I don't drive recklessly or speed) before I leave for basic. It's kind of like a hold-me-over because I won't be able to drive it for 10+ months thanks to tech training.

Sub frame connectors, shocks, springs, any maintenance stuff lime ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

I wouldnt tear apart your motor until you really know what you want out of your project. Too many cars start out with good intentions but end up someone elses problems in the end.
My main question right now is any mods or upgrades I could do that are not for the engine? I only plan to rebuild the engine at the moment, no HCI yet. The 30 over bore I will only do if my cylinders are in bad condition.

BTW, you guys have changed my mind. I am no longer set on a Turbo anymore. HCI would probably be best.

An ARP or other upgraded oil pump shaft is upgrade #1 if the motor is out. Hyper pistons are fine for a H/C/I motor. It is too bad you can not to the H/C/I upgrade while the motor is out too. I like Fel Pro gaskets, particularly the intake gaskets with the steel inserts. I hope this is more like what you wanted to know.

No LS? Then mid mount a North Star crosswise in the back seat. Or better yet, a pair of Toronado 455's front and rear! That will send your budget and tires up in smoke! I canread the hate mail already!

Yeah, another thing I wanted to know is where is the best place to get a rebuild kit. I've already looked at summit. They have a ton of rebuild kits for the same price and I'm not sure of the differences.

I'll look into the K-member, UPR right? My steering does make an awful lot of noise :confused:

I've got some BFgoodrich G-Force tires and I haven't been able to do a single burnout :( stupid engine/AOD/2.73 gears

you could find a really low miles LS 5.3 vortec ( out off 2000+ silverado ) for around 500-700 dollar. change the cam, their you go 300 whp and if you put $3000 in you get yourself a beast :) :hide:

that usually the popular set up for fox body, BUT now lately I note peoples around here doing coyote 5.0 set up, 10k for engine and 5k to profession install ( just like factory )

Reactions: 1 user