Upper/Lower Control arm choices...quick

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
Well, seeing as I just bought a complete k-member/coil-over kit from aje, I'm now in need of some upgrades for the rear suspension. I've read countless threads about upper/lower control arms...but quite honestly dont feel like going through them again. I need to buy these asap, and need your help to push me in the right direction.

First off, this is a daily driven stang (atleast during the summer). I frequent the dragstrip quite often, but from what I understand, spherical bushings are not the route for me. Adjusting the pinion angle would be nice, but (correct me if I'm wrong) no-one sells adjustable uppers that have non spherical bushings.

So what I have to work with is around $400 total for the rear. Adjustable lowers (for ride height) would be nice, but I have no idea of what the pro-s/cons are of them. Any and all input would be appreciated, and feel more than free to post your opinions on brands.

• Sponsors (?)

you've some choices with $400 to spend. with regular adjustable uppers, you have to remove one side of the arm to adjust pinion angle. double adjustable uppers will allow you to play with the pinion angle without having to remove anything (except for maybe the tires). how about some of these uppers from jd's?
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=583&fcmd=item&inmake=all

or some of these from upr.
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=293

i'm not sure if there are any adjustable lower on the market with poly's on both ends. maybe steeda or maximum motorsports. pricey though. i recommend checking the rest of those sites out above.

I used the Global West arms(which are the same as Motorsport)on one of my cars, and they work great for street and track. They have sperical brgs on one end, and Del-a-lum on the other. The ones I used on my LX were poly both ends (early units that had just come out)and were great in a straight line, but not on the corners. They were ok on the corners, but only to the point of binding up with the bushings. Then the rear got spooky. Think about what most of your driving is and how you push the car around, then look at control arms.
BP

Thanks for the quick replys fellas, keep em coming.

Axeman, those look to be just what I need for the uppers, thanks. I havent heard much feedback about the upr units, but a lot of people have been bringing up the jd's units.

As for the lower cr's...I really dont need them to be adjustable, but it would be nice seeing as I'm going to be able to adjust the front ride hight via the coil over setup. When I'm talking adjustable, I'm talking ride hight only. Other wise I start getting into way to much adjustments for me...which will equate to problems :)

Bapford, how were those spherical bushings on the street? Seeing as the stang is my daily summer driver (30 miles one way to work), I dont think that the sphericals will hold up to the detroit road abuse.

The problem I've found with most adjustable lowers is they use sphericals on atleast one end.

upr products seem to be of really good quality. i'm sure there's a bunch of people running their stuff, including perky. he's also a dealer for them, i think jd's too. i recommend going through him. great guy.

i just put some of the jd's double adjustable uppers with the heim joints or spherical bearings on the body side and regular bushings on the axle side. got some poly's to go on now. also just put some upr adjustable lowers on with the bearing on body side and poly on axle side. the upr adjustable lowers i have are not ride heigth adjustable, but they are adjustable length wise allowing correct placement of the rear. probably not necessary though. these may not be for a daily driver though, but i don't plan on running my car more than 5000 miles per year so i can stay exempt from emissions.

Well, I've decided on the jd adjustable upper units, but I'm still undecided about the lowers.

With the amount of miles I drive her daily, it would not be wise to go with adjustable lowers with spherical bushings on either ends...correct?

BTW, I've decided to wait until I find out some more info to purchase anything.