Used gears...good or bad

• Sponsors (?)

If your buying a ring & pinion set, I personally wouldn't go with a used set because of the amount of effort and expense required to install them, unless you know for certain the mileage and type of use to which they have subjected. I did re-use my original bearings when I had 4.10s installed though, because of the relatively low mileage (less than 20,000) on them.

It's personal choice. You'll get lots of opinions.

I know guys that won't use used gears and I know guys that use nothign but used gears.

I use used gears if they are available.

I had used 3.55 gears in my '90 GT before I swapped them out for the used 3.73's.

I'm thinking about a used set of 3.73's for my '98 too. But it's my daily driver, winter included, so I'm concerned about gears and bad weather driving. I live about an hour or so from Niag. Falls, so you know our weather.

for a race car, i wouldn't care, because through 1/4 mile blasts you aren't going to hear any whine.

for a daily I only use new gears, i hate whine as i'm going down the highway. if they are low mileage you may be able to get away with it, but the installer has to be that much more carefull

artificial HP said:
If they're installed properly and have low mileage then theres nothing wrong with it. If they had any sort of gear whine while installed in the previous car I'd stay away from them.

:stupid:

If the person doing the set-up knows what the hell they are doing, used gears are fine. But they absolutely MUST be installed(shimmed) exactly the same as they were in the previous axle other wise you'll ruin the gears.

Personally though, I'd spend the extra $ and buy new.

I've heard similar to the above post from several people. All gears will obviously wear differently, so ideally you would want them installed to mate the exact same way they were in the old rear... I'd just buy new too, but thats my opinion.

ive seen 4.10's and many other gears at swap meets for 25 bucks. sometimes as stated above, the owner of them will give you the specs on the backlash and pinion depth and such so you can try to set them up.
honestly, ive used new gears, and they whined, and ive used old gears and they whined. but ive used new gears that didnt whine, and used used gears that didnt whine.
i feel it is in they way you set them up.
usually when they whine, its your pinion not being tight enough, or your too shallow.
always use a new crush sleve and make sure you crushed it. their a femal dog.
with frp gears, i have used the stock shims, and not had a problem, no whinein or nothing. but i would atleast check your measurments. its alot better to see it not right, instead of hear it not right when you pull out of the drive.