V6 gauges in a V8 car

Dagz

Dec 2, 2005
Quesnel Canada
k boys here's one for you, i recently swapped a 302 into a V6 car. Everything works great and of course plenty of tire burning hose power, but my question is are the tach and the speddo accurate with the V6 cluster. It seems to me that the tach is out 5 or 600 rpm, but idle is ok. What do you think anyone else out there run into this yet.

And if it is then i will just change the cluster over from the donor car.

Cheers

Dagz

• Sponsors (?)

Good job on the swap! It will take some checking, but the speedo should be accurate provided that you used the same (v6) tranny or if the donor v8 has the same rearend gears as the original car. The tach, however, will be off. I guessed that when I did my engine swap to the 5.0 that the original tach would be off by a percentage, other than just so many rpm off. So, at idle, the tach will be closer to correct and when going up the scale it will read high by more. Just by my calculations, it will be off by 25%. The quickest thing to do about the tach would be to get the entire instrument cluster from your donor car if you can. It should plug right in to the v6 car. Phil

thanx phil, I figured i was out on the rpms. as for the rest I know the red line is different and the speedo but that doesn't concern me it was how accurate it was. I do have the cluster and yes it will just plug in, but when you ca bury the tack in the thing you start to wonder if it is working right you know. well nothing to worry about i'll just switch the cluster tonight.

Cheers

Dagz said:
thanx phil, I figured i was out on the rpms. as for the rest I know the red line is different and the speedo but that doesn't concern me it was how accurate it was. I do have the cluster and yes it will just plug in, but when you ca bury the tack in the thing you start to wonder if it is working right you know. well nothing to worry about i'll just switch the cluster tonight.

Cheers
Its not hard at all. I can take mine out in under 5 minutes. But I have taken mine out like 20 times. lol dont ask

oh ya by the way i am canadian eh, so mph don't mean much to us it's all about the km but thanx.

ps no emission laws over here so if it is factory equipment and the only thing it is doning is robbing hp or weight, throw it out no one cares. I will be long gone before i need to wory about that. hahahaha!!!

Dagz said:
oh ya by the way i am canadian eh, so mph don't mean much to us it's all about the km but thanx.

ps no emission laws over here so if it is factory equipment and the only thing it is doning is robbing hp or weight, throw it out no one cares. I will be long gone before i need to wory about that. hahahaha!!!

We had the swap done earlier this spring, the cluster had to be changed as the stock V6 rear while it does work, the gear ratio is off. So while you may set your C/C to 110Km you're zipping along much faster. I used the cluster from the doner car and have since had the rear end swaped out and 373's put in.

Dagz said:

Cheers

LOL! I can remember the first time I really hammered it after putting in the 5.0. I thought "oh f%$k" I've really gone and done it now! Because the tach needle just flew to 7k really quick. Mine is still like that, I've just lived with it for now. I wish that I could find a good aftermarket cluster that would just replace the old one and have some good gauges instead of trading for the gt cluster and then wanting a good tach and gauges for more accurate readings. Good Luck!