v6 to 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

I am sorta in the same boat as you, I have a 98 3.8 and know that one day i will really want a V8 in it, but dunno everything involved, so far people have told me that if it came with a 4.6 as an option (96 up) stick with a 4.6 since the motor mounts bolt right up. I would rather have a 5.0 also though. So i shall see who else replies.

If it's a injected, you'll need a new engine wiring harness, computer(i'd get a fordchip), and fuel system. You'll probably need new springs. You might also want to look into getting a smaller brake booster, the one from a cobra will work, so you'll have more room on that side of the engine. A radiator from a gt or cobra (?) - not too sure about this one. Try to get a Cobra instrument cluster, if not get a GT face. Not too sure about the 96-present mustangs, but I think the k-member will get in the way of a 302. There was something that doesn't allow the engine to slide right in, but I can't remember what it is ;) Good thing I have a '95 and the gas guzzlers fit right in :banana:

AP1995V6 said:
I was reading in Hot Rod the other day, and someone put a 5.0 in a Focus. Anything's possible with alittle work ;)

Sorry I'm been setting back working on some V6 ideals for a friend of mine and figured I throw my two cents in if ya didn't mind.

I saw in a mag I forget which where they put a 4.6 SC in a Focus :) I had also seen in a mag a while back where they used a 5.0L in a newer SN95 body style. Installing a 5.0L in a V6 97-04 is possible but what fun would it be? Your beating people with a V8 and just to save a few bux on car insurance ? I've seen a guy in a mag that had a 14 flat V6 around a 96' I believe who had ported his heads, cam, exhaust etc and that is what I would do if it was me. That way when I kill a ricer they can't complain about the extra two cyl :p

Thanks

i`m new here so please forgive me, but why in the world would you swap in a 5.0? for the money and aggrivation you`ll spend to put a STOCK 5.0 you could have a 300+ hp v6. the 5.0 is a good engine but to make them run you have to invest in a good set of heads ($1,500.00) then a cam and intake are in order too. good ported 3.8 heads can had for less than a grand and intakes are about 500 for both upper and lower combined. and don`t think you can go and get a perfect running low milage 5.0 for cheap forget it they aren`t out there. go buy a junkyard 3.8 for 200 bucks and build the hell out of it and drop it in. it will be far cheaper and give you less headaches than a 5.0 or 4.6 swap :D

cobra232 said:
i`m new here so please forgive me, but why in the world would you swap in a 5.0? D

Thats a easy question, some people choose a more simple way out than a more complacated path. They made so many 5.0Ls its un real and you can buy used aftermarket parts for them almost from a J/Y. Heck I bought so much junk off a 5.0 for my 93' LX off ebay its hard to tell it apart from a 5.0L. If you use a carb its even easier unless you use a EFI where you need to replace the wire harness. Some people lack the challange of making a 4CYL or V6 to out run a V8. My stock SVO is slow but yet not that fair from keeping up with a 5.0L. I just don't have time to bolt on my new ported head and other stuff needed to out run your typical 5.0L, but this summer the 5.0 guys will need to walk a straight line around me :) They will have to ask only one question, "is there replacement for Displacement"?