V6 to V8 Motor Swap

RedStang88

Aug 14, 2003
Hey guys, I was getting ready to go home in my 3.8 94, and as soon as I start my car it sounds funny. It is idling very rough, and shaky. I continue to drive home which is only a mile away and I notice the check engine light comes on, there is a funny smell, the engine is knocking, and there is white smoke pouring from the exhaust as I touch the gas. Im pretty sure the engine is toast. Instead of paying 1000 dollars to rebuild the six, I would drop the 8 in. My friend can do it for me. A junkyard near me has a 5.0 HO for 600, so I have a few questions:
1. Can I use the tranny from the 6?
2. I need the intake and everything right?
3. I already have gt takeoffs, All I need is headers to bolt the new engine to that exhaust?
4. What else do I NEED to change to get my car running again.
5. How much do you think I should pay for a 5.0 motor with say around 50k miles on it, or is a 4.6 w/75000 for 900 a better deal. The 4.6 will probably be a pain to install though.

Thanks, please help me figure these out by tonite so I can start arranging things...

• Sponsors (?)

hey man, im no expert on the issue but i did have the same thoughts as you. i wanted to get a six and swap in the v8 to save money on insurance and overall cost of the car.

so far when i asked about it everyone said DONT DO IT!!!!
they said its a HUGE hassel and its a waste of time and money. alot more than just the engine has to be upgraded and changed. the tranny and rear end and axels all need to be upgraded, least from what i was told. basically they said most of the stock stuff on the 6 wasnt built for the 8 so it must be changed.

thats what i got out of it anyway, but again im no expert, but i do look into it somewhat and all the views on it said dont and i do know ALOT has to be replaced. hope that helps some. otherwise search online for the swap, there is a fair amount out there on it.

new tranny, new intake, TB, MAF, computer probably, rear end, suspension supports, headers, exhaust pipes (the H pipe and catback), you won't find any engine worth putting in that's used for a decent price, they're all damaged/wrecked, or they don't work well at all... if I were you, I'd just put a decent crate motor in it, like the summit 302 for $3500... 345hp... very nice engine :drool: but you'll have a lot of work to do to swap the engine over...

The following is a direct quote from a past post by a member who did the swap a little while back... And as a side note if you dont plan on too much racing, doing alot of power mods, or alot of high rpm launches, the stock 7.5" rear will be just fine. There seems to be alot of misconception where that is concerned, so I'd advise you to put that amount of money into the needed parts of the swap. Anywho, here ya go...

"Complete 302 Based Engine
94-95 Upper Intake
94-95 TB
94-95 timing cover
94-95 water pump
94-95distributer
94-95 accesory brackets
94-95 motor mounts

94-95 headers
H-pipe
Catback

94-95 EEC
Main EEC to engine bay harness
Engine harness
New or extended alt harness
Tranny harness

A/C plumbing (if you want A/C)
94-95 induction tube
Smog pump system
Throttle cable
Serp belt
Upper radiator hose

94-95 02's
94-95 EGR and sensor
94-95 fuel hoses
TFI (Ignition control) module
CCRM (fan, fuel pump, etc controller)
TAB, TAD, EVR (3 emmissions things in fender)

If you want to reuse your V6 power steering compressor you have to grind a notch in the V8 assecories bracket.
(I got this parts list from a webpage over the internet before i started to do the swap. I didnt have to make a notch in anyhting yet)

after all the love and work i put into my car i have to sell it. i can afford to bring it to arizona. atleast ill have my memories. i hope this list helps you. it helped me. im really depressed right now. gonna take some vikadins. good luck"

You can use the tranny out of the v6.. its a t-5. YOu may wanna make sure the input shaft is the same. I think it is but i wouldnt swear to it. If you have a mustang junkyard around there get them to price you a changeover. Thats what i did. 650$ for everything. I think i came out on that one.. bout time. I used my v6 alt and a/c compressor.. tranny until i broke it..

3.8 to 5.0

Hey man been there done that, but I have a 95 that came with the 3.8, but I put a 87 351w in mines, the tranny will work but you will have to get a late model 5.0 bellhousing, Im pushing over 400 horsepower and still using the stock 7.5 rear end, but plan to upgrade, and instead of going thru all of that fuel injection crap, I just put a 750 double pumper in it, but if you wanna stay with fuel injection, you will need an intake, computer, wire harness, sensors, brackets, radiator, 10.5 inch flywheel, and whatever else atlblue2000 posted, you can still use your motor mounts.

alright. I did a v8 conversion on my v6er.. I went to a carb though.. no sense in spending an extra two grand just to have fuel injection.. I got v8 motor mounts and a old school c-4 tranny.. I got a custom driveshaft .. actually it was a ford rangers tat was shortened.. I am still running the 7.5 and I am pushing 320 HP. I do recomend it but I also dont.. I loved those days when you had to troubleshoot and read some books.. If you really want a v8 and your going to a carb.. go bigger like a 351... even with the carb you can run alll the a/c stuff.. change the pullies and ur good to go.. as for the power steering.. correct me if I a wrong but all ford pumps are the same except for the pulley.. I am running a pump off a 81 lincoln cont.. I also have one of the v6 that will work when my old one gives out.. Now if you want the fuel injection set up .. honestly ... buy a wrecked 5.0 or sell yours.. I dont car about back seats. a/c or interior.. I run a autometer tahc and a quick silver ratcheting shifter.. I am happy..

8.8 or 7.5

I still have the 7.5 inch rear, was going to work on my rear end but my t5 went out on me, and now I'm converting it to a 2400 stall c-4, confused on wether I should go with 8.8 also, because you can get a traction lok from ford for around $250, and a ring and pinion will run around $50-200, or you can get the 8.8 for around $800.