Value of an original 64 1/2 coupe

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
Just came back from a local muffler shop and the owner has a 64 1/2 coupe that he is looking to sell. I woulda took pics, but I didn't have a camera with me. It looks to be mostly original with 33,000 on the odometer. Likely (133,000 miles)

It's orange exterior with white interior. The body is pretty straight and it's from around here, so rust usually isn't an issue, but I would like to get a peek under the carpet.

The engine is the 260 with single exhaust and it has the automatic trans. It has the factory type AC and he says it works.

What do you think he could get for it? He was thinkin' around $12K

I told him he should post it on eBay to get the biggest audience, but he's not exactly the computer type.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that 12k would be too high but I haven't priced any lately. About 3 or 4 years ago a friend of mine was looking at a concours restored coupe (65 or 66) from a mustang dealer that has a very good reputation and if I remember right 16k would have bought that one. It had a gold award ( think that's the correct term) from the MCA. Prices could have went way up since then though.

mca gold in the concours class is 95 points for a driver, and 97 points for a trailered car. even as a driver, that car is in the neighborhood of $27,000 now. the unrestored, thorobred cars are fetching a good buck to the right person. (im looking for a clean 67-68 coupe shell...)

mca gold in the concours class is 95 points for a driver, and 97 points for a trailered car. even as a driver, that car is in the neighborhood of $27,000 now. the unrestored, thorobred cars are fetching a good buck to the right person. (im looking for a clean 67-68 coupe shell...)

Wow! Is that 27k for a coupe. He bought a 65 GT convertible in good shape for about the same price but maybe he should have bought the coupe too. He never actually saw the car but it was being sold by KAR in Columbus Ohio and as far as I know they have a very good reputation. I'm assuming that it was a driver because I know that he would take it out on occasion. Maybe I should have bought it. That would be a lot better return than the stock market.