Resolved Vibration issues

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
Hi guys I have a odd one for yall.
I have a 66 rambler classic with a 88 California 5.0 HO mustang motor in it and a c4 transmission.
Having some vibration issues.
1st of all brought the car not running with little history.
Car is now running but has a terrible vibration. In park and neutral the vibration is at its worse but is still there when in drive or reverse.
List of what I have done.
New dizzy cap
New leads
New plugs
New 50oz balancer
Re timed Dizzy
New tfi module
Checked engine mounts
Checked firing order
All plugs are firing and look the same once run up and pulled to check for fowling.
Balancer improved vibration as old one had spun.
Vibration is still there and I'm at a loss of what to do next.
Plan on pulling the Trans in the coming weeks but any suggestions from anyone to what it could be

• Sponsors (?)

What about your flywheel balance?
Is your firing order for an HO engine? Are you SURE its an HO engine or has an HO firing order cam in it?

My guess would also be the flex plate is not the correct imbalance. As far as the non-HO vs HO firing order goes if you have a non-HO firing order cam you can change the plug wires and it will run decent in low rpm and much better in the upper rpm's as the injector timing will not matter as much at WOT. To truely make a non-HO cam firing order work with an HO cam ECU you need to repin the injectors to follow the non-HO firing order.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
What about your flywheel balance?
Is your firing order for an HO engine? Are you SURE its an HO engine or has an HO firing order cam in it?
Yes definitely a HO engine and definitely HO firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
I was thinking flexplate balance which is why I'm pulling the Trans out. Fingers crossed it is

My guess would also be the flex plate is not the correct imbalance. As far as the non-HO vs HO firing order goes if you have a non-HO firing order cam you can change the plug wires and it will run decent in low rpm and much better in the upper rpm's as the injector timing will not matter as much at WOT. To truely make a non-HO cam firing order work with an HO cam ECU you need to repin the injectors to follow the non-HO firing order.
Hopefully it is the flex plate. Hope to pull the Trans in a couple weeks.
So the motor itself is definitely a HO running a HO firing order and runs fine as it is just vibrates the hell out of everything through the Rev range in park, neutral and drive but less in drive. So thinking flex plate or tc

You caught me again, I think in Carburetor terms....

UPDATE

Pulled trans out today and the guy who had it before me has installed the tc on the flexplate incorrectly.

The drain bung on the tc was located behind the weight where there is no drain bung hole.

Flexplate now has a slight bend in it and abnormal wear on ring gear in this location.

Will replace flexplate for piece of mind and all should be well.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Reactions: 1 user