Visibility with smoked headlights?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i have some smoked headlights in the mail and didnt think much of visibility. i was just reading through and someone mentioned the headlight covers trash the visiblity at night, im just curious how a smoked lense is at night?

mine are pretty dark looking over the oem smoked ones, here is a general pic for comparison:

mustang9903black.jpg

does it become a necessity to purchase some brighter bulbs? thanks, did some searches but just found a few more comments on the projection after headlight covers.

Attachments

• mustang9903black.jpg
    mustang9903black.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 699
  • Sponsors (?)

you can get some brighter bulbs if you want the extra assurance, but they dont seem to be bad at all. In fact, i see better with my '02 GT headlights than i did my '99 headlights (even after i got brand new ones)

they are smoked like the oem, but i believe these are darker then oem?

they arrive tomorrow, ill have to test them then i guess. just wondering if i should go out and buy some bright ass bulbs or they should still work good at night.

Well if they are anything like mine then you are gonna have some problems driving at night.:D

headlightcover.jpg

With the regular smoked lights, I thought visibility sucked so I got Sylvania Silverstars or something stars and it helped a lot. When I put on the dark covers, there is no driving at night.
I would say if you think it's too dark, upgrade the bulbs.

Attachments

• headlightcover.jpg
    headlightcover.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 7,344
thanks. lol no they arent as dark as those.

i just bought some silverstar's on ebay for cheap, they should improve visibility. i see pretty decent at night with the stockers, and those are ****ty in comparison to some other cars ive driven. so with the silverstar's i should be good.

these arent covers or anything, they are complete new headlights with smoked/tinted however you put it, lenses.

diablostang said:
I had smoked headlights on my Fox body, and I put in sylvania's, and I could see better than stock lights with stock bulbs.

sylvania is who makes the silverstar's right?

i could see good with my foxes stock bulbs, so im confident ill be fine with these now.

thanks for all the input.

i saw them on mt.com, they look identical to what i bought.

i got them on ebay for about half the price though. paid like 150 something to the door. i believe mustangtuning wants 299?

175 for the lights and silverstar's, i think i came out decent.

[QUOTE='03GTinFLA]Just wondering what your logic is with this statement.[/QUOTE]

For example, black paint if its lustrous enough is just as good as silver paint as reflecting a beam of light. As long as the tint doesn't absorb too much of the light there should be no problem with illumination.

they are just like the kind in the pic, that is the same/different then oem?

i dont know why they would be junk unless they let moisture in. my oem lights look like a 5 year old assembled them and they are holding fine.

also oem doesnt have clear corners. the orange markers look like ASS on blue paint, or pretty much any color out there imo.