Want 11's out of my 98 cobra

Roush21

Dec 31, 2003
I currently have a 98 cobra. I have a vortech s trim running 10lbs of boost. I have the 3.33" pulley which is the 8lb pulley but with my anderson racing powerpipe I am pulling in 2 more lbs of boost. I also have Nitto drag radials, 36lb injectors, plugs, wires, 4.10s, pro 5.0 shifter and pro m mass air but thats about it. I am running the 1/4 in 12.68 at 115. My problem for the most part is traction, the nittos arent hooking up for me so i m thinking of dropping my launch from 3500 to 3000-3200. My 60 ft times are usually 2.1-2.2 so they suck. Reaction times are usually in the .700's. I am probably going to get the 3.12 pulley and see if it will give me 12lbs of boost and a guy told me he shifts his supecharged 98 cobra at 6500rpm but he has an intercooler. I am a bit afraid of the 6500rpm mark especially non intercooled. I got my 12.68 by shifting at 5800rpm. If you have any comments I would like to hear them. thanks. Trying to run 11's with the drag radials......would like to buy slicks this spring but want the 11's on d/r's first.

• Sponsors (?)

You have plenty of power to run 11s already. It will be tough on drs but can be done. Lowering that launch is the opposite of what you should do though. Your'e gonna have to raise the launch rpm and still be able to feather it out of the hole well enough to combat tire spin. Good luck.:nice:

Yeah sounds good but what do you think of my shift point at 5800rpm??? Probably could be jumped up some huh, especially on the cobra?? But 6500rpm? seems a lil crazy to me, what do you shift at ?

Roush21 said:
Yeah sounds good but what do you think of my shift point at 5800rpm??? Probably could be jumped up some huh, especially on the cobra?? But 6500rpm? seems a lil crazy to me, what do you shift at ?
I would suspect that you should be shifting at around 6200 but without seeing a graph it's hard to say for sure. It'll be a trial and error situation.

Before the new motor when I had 440 rwhp I was shifting my car at 6K as my curve continued to climb all the way to the limiter.

Why shifting so early?!?!?!?!

I say hold it out a lil longer. and be higher in the RPM's after the shift. 6200 sounds more like it :)

Also,I say you should go w/ some suspension or chassis mods. Control Arms, Subframe Connectors etc.... They would help w/ your traction problem...

And at 12lbs. are 36lb. injectors gonna cut it???

-Will

First of all do not listen to guys who do not own or drive a 4 valve...These puppies love to rev...Shifty at 6800+...I assume the rev limiter was moved up...also you need to slip the clutch with Nittos...You should easily be in the 11's with a 1.8 60' and higher rpm shifts..

Just and FYI...Here is my old Sig I ran my times N/A 7k shifts

2000 Performance Red GT
MODS:
*01 COBRA MOTOR*Ported/Extrude Honed Intake*Jet Hot Mac LongTubes*Magnapack Catback*Magnaflow X w/Cats*Tremec 3650*03 Cobra Aluminum Flywheel and Clutch*Steeda TriAx*Steeda Pullies*Home Depot PowerPipe*Pro-M MAF*4.30 Gears*Moser 31 Spline Axles*Eaton 31 Spline Posi*Wicked Motorsports Chip*UPR UCA/LCA*Bullitt Suspension*Aluminum D/S*Driveshaft Loop*Nitto Drag Radials*Global West Subframes*Cobra R Hood*
Sequential Taillights*20% Tint*Chrome Bumper Inserts*

12.49@111 with a 1.740 60' on 17 Inch Nitto Drag Radials 3484 Race Weight!

Click here for 12.4 pass in FULL STREET TRIM

Next:QA1 K-Member, Canton Oil Pan, FMS Oil Pump and Billett Oil Pump Gears, oh and a NX Wet Kit...