WANT MOE PAWA

01blackvertgt

Sep 27, 2008
hi all, I am looking for the next upgrade to my 01 gt vert. the engine was rebuilt last year and is running great. I have the CAI and cat back flow masters, 3.73 gears with the 5 speed manual, a lot of suspension mods and cobra brakes. the previous owner ran an SC, hence my need to rebuild at just 70K miles.

I am considering pulleys, larger MAS, upper plenum. what will get me the most cost effective increase in power?:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

hi all, I am looking for the next upgrade to my 01 gt vert. the engine was rebuilt last year and is running great. I have the CAI and cat back flow masters, 3.73 gears with the 5 speed manual, a lot of suspension mods and cobra brakes. the previous owner ran an SC, hence my need to rebuild at just 70K miles.

I am considering pulleys, larger MAS, upper plenum. what will get me the most cost effective increase in power?:hail2:

none of that will get you to where you want. I'd recommend saving for a supercharger... you can build your own Vortech kit within a reasonable budget if you source the parts right and buy a used blower. Otherwise the best bang for the buck is nitrous oxide. The only chitty thing is you have to refill the tank :(

If you don't want to go supercharged/nitrous, then get yourself a nice set of cams. A stage 2 cam will really wake your car up from about 4K+ rpm's. If you're interested the best man for the job is Nick McKinney. He'll give you straight talk not sugarcoated advice if you tell him what you're looking to do with your car.

thanks guys, as I am in CA, I need to stay smog legal, cams I could have done when they rebuilt it but was afraid of the smog dance. SC sounds cool, how much PSI before I have to worry about the bottom end, and o-ringing heads.

thanks guys, as I am in CA, I need to stay smog legal, cams I could have done when they rebuilt it but was afraid of the smog dance. SC sounds cool, how much PSI before I have to worry about the bottom end, and o-ringing heads.

I am in Ca too and just so you know cams will pass smog, as long as you have them tuned correctly and degreed correctly. The whole deal with smog in CA is passing the computer scan test, passing the rollers and passing the visual.

The computer test, has to do with making sure all the systems are working properly or are even working at all, ie O2 sensors, egr, etc. The roller just measure emissions at tale pipes and the visual is the only one with mods that you have to really worry about. EVERYTHING must have a CARB plate or sticker on it if it is not factory.

Oh and stock bottom end is about 8-9psi of boost, but people have gone higher but that is usually the safe reference point. BUT boost is not the only factor, your tune for the SC is what really depends on how long or how well the engine will run. A bad tune with a SC will kill a motor, no matter what boost level.

I am in Ca too and just so you know cams will pass smog, as long as you have them tuned correctly and degreed correctly. The whole deal with smog in CA is passing the computer scan test, passing the rollers and passing the visual.

The computer test, has to do with making sure all the systems are working properly or are even working at all, ie O2 sensors, egr, etc. The roller just measure emissions at tale pipes and the visual is the only one with mods that you have to really worry about. EVERYTHING must have a CARB plate or sticker on it if it is not factory.

Oh and stock bottom end is about 8-9psi of boost, but people have gone higher but that is usually the safe reference point. BUT boost is not the only factor, your tune for the SC is what really depends on how long or how well the engine will run. A bad tune with a SC will kill a motor, no matter what boost level.

+1... someone did a nice write up a few years ago about how to put together a vortech kit for around $2,000.. don't remember where it was though. Stock bottom end will last a long time if you have a quality tune and keep the power under 400 or 450 RWHP (don't remember which).

before my 01 vert y owned a 03 cobra, it was sooooo powerfull, they are going for around 20K, but the 01 is already paid for, am I dreaming if I think I can get terminator power out of my 2v 4.6l?

should I just wait for them to hit 15K and get one?

none of that will get you to where you want. I'd recommend saving for a supercharger... you can build your own Vortech kit within a reasonable budget if you source the parts right and buy a used blower. Otherwise the best bang for the buck is nitrous oxide. The only chitty thing is you have to refill the tank :(

If you don't want to go supercharged/nitrous, then get yourself a nice set of cams. A stage 2 cam will really wake your car up from about 4K+ rpm's. If you're interested the best man for the job is Nick McKinney. He'll give you straight talk not sugarcoated advice if you tell him what you're looking to do with your car.

N8Dogg summed it up very well. Even with every bolt on you are looking at 260-270 rwhp at best. Cams are a great idea for a power adder, especially the stage 2's but again, then you will be looking at a maximum of 290-300rwhp with a good stage 2 cam... and that usually involves full bolt ons as well.

For the kind of power you are looking for (especially if you want to be in terminator territory) start looking at superchargers. Even a basic s-trim vortech or a relatively low boost KB (both ~6-8psi) should get you in the same neighborhood of a stock 03-04 cobra. Many kits come with CARB plates so if you have a good tune you should pass all forms of CA inspection while getting terminator power levels (~365rwhp/365rwtq).