Warm Weather Problems - Bogging/Pinging

SLOW04GT

Mar 16, 2004
My 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed has developed some warm weather problems. First, let me give some background. I installed a Bullitt CAI and Brenspeed SCT tune a few months ago when the weather was cool, but I was getting pinging at 4K and above (WOT). I tried running 91 octane (the highest here in CA) but it didn't take care of my problem. I left it like this and just didn't take it above 4K.

Well last week the temperature got into the mid 80's and I started hearing pinging at low RPM's just driving around town and on every shift. I reverted back to the stock intake and tune and that seemed to clear it up. I also did not get anymore pinging at WOT above 4K.

This week, the temperature has hit the low 100's and now my car bogs everytime I leave a stop light and on every shift. It will just barely accelerate away and then when it gets up in RPM a bit it will start accelerating like normal. But as soon as I shift it it's back to bogging again. I thought it might have been my AC so I shut it off but that didn't help. I can push it to full throttle and it just makes a deeper sound like it is loading up and goes nowhere. I also tried get the RPM's up into the 3500-4K range before shifting and it would still bog. I also notice an occasional ticking sound when this happens. This has happened the last 2 days where the temp has been 90-100.

All of this time I have been running name brand 91 octane and I tried several different brands but it didn't help.

I work swing shift so I drive in the hot afternoon but come home at midnight and the car runs fine in the cooler night temps so it's definately a warm weather problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Check/clean the Mass Air Sensor, and check all the air intake connections to the intake to make sure you don't have a loose clamp or air leak. Also, is there a intake temperature sensor in these cars? The older Mustangs had them and just thought that this could be a problem, if the car has one. The other thing would be to change your fuel filter, perhaps it's really dirty. Possibly check the cam sensor to make sure it's connected properly. Are there any codes present? Other than that, not much else that I can think of, since you're back to stock airbox and stock tunes. Hope this helps.:shrug:

I agree with COBESGT. Sounds like she is lean. Clean the MAF and change the fuel filter. The ethanol in the gas nowadays tends to dissolve and clean out all the crap in the gas station tanks, which then ends up in your tank. I changed mine at 7k and it was damn near clogged already - could barely blow through it.

Great suggestions from the others.
However, suggest that you try different brands of gas first.
If that does not help, then dump a can of Seafoam into your gas tank at the station immediately before filling up. It's possible that the engine has some carbon build up, which can cause pinging. My 05 GT had a pinging problem, and Seafoam eliminated it. It may take running thru that entire tank of gas to clear up. But if the pinging persists when the tank is nearly empty, then dump in another can before the next fill up. If that does not work, then the tune may either be too lean and/or have too much advanced timing as stated by others.
The bogging and sluggishness is caused by the PCM pulling timing when the IAT(inlet air temperature) exceeds approx. 90 F, as determined by a temperature sensor in the MAF unit. My car does the same thing. I've learned to live with it.

Personally I would contact Brenspeed for their advice. They have an excellent customer service culture and I'm sure they will be able to help you. Having said that, the above suggestions are bang on and are certainly worth a try.

To all the others, could this be a fuel pump issue? I know certain model year cars had a problem with pump pressure, but can't remember which model years it was with.

Good luck and keep us posted

My 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed has developed some warm weather problems. First, let me give some background. I installed a Bullitt CAI and Brenspeed SCT tune a few months ago when the weather was cool, but I was getting pinging at 4K and above (WOT). I tried running 91 octane (the highest here in CA) but it didn't take care of my problem. I left it like this and just didn't take it above 4K.

Well last week the temperature got into the mid 80's and I started hearing pinging at low RPM's just driving around town and on every shift. I reverted back to the stock intake and tune and that seemed to clear it up. I also did not get anymore pinging at WOT above 4K.

This week, the temperature has hit the low 100's and now my car bogs everytime I leave a stop light and on every shift. It will just barely accelerate away and then when it gets up in RPM a bit it will start accelerating like normal. But as soon as I shift it it's back to bogging again. I thought it might have been my AC so I shut it off but that didn't help. I can push it to full throttle and it just makes a deeper sound like it is loading up and goes nowhere. I also tried get the RPM's up into the 3500-4K range before shifting and it would still bog. I also notice an occasional ticking sound when this happens. This has happened the last 2 days where the temp has been 90-100.

All of this time I have been running name brand 91 octane and I tried several different brands but it didn't help.

I work swing shift so I drive in the hot afternoon but come home at midnight and the car runs fine in the cooler night temps so it's definately a warm weather problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Look at the a/f and how much smoother it is w/ Chevron 93/Sunoco 93 than high E. Shell 93. Ethanol does burn cooler and cleaner... but needs more volume to do so, and the E ratio's are never consistant thus tuning isnt as consistant. IF you run lean as you can, these inconsistancies are when detonation can occur.

Cheap gas is NOT cheap in the long run.:nice:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am going to try a few of these suggestions this weekend, including MAF cleaner, Seafoam and a new fuel filter.

I should have mentioned that I did contact Brenspeed. They said that they were surprised that it was pinging since I was only running their 87 tune because they don't make any changes to the timing with that tune. They said all they could do would be to pull timing but then I would be running less timing and make less power then stock. I decided against doing that and put my stock intake and tune on, which got rid of the high RPM pinging and I now only get the low RPM pinging in really hot weather.

I have also tried running Chevron, 76, and Shell 91 octane but there was no difference in how it ran. There isn't anything higher than 91 here unfortunately.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated.

I also live in CA and work the same shift as you do. It has been very hot lately but luckily I haven't heard any pinging or bogging from low RPM on my 08GT (stock minus the boomtubes). Maybe a bit of throttle lag on 2K rpm up shifts, but no noises. On my 01GT, I had a CAI that would ping when it was hot, but not at nighttime. I'm in Santa Clarita where 95-100 is pretty common. I would drive it very gently and still get the ping during the day. I may be alone here on this but with the heat the GT engine makes plus the hot CA weather, I think an open element CAI is sucking in too much hot air. There are some good suggestions here about fuel filter and dirty sensors. I try to avoid the "fuel injector cleaners" as they may just add more crap, and try not to get gas when the fuel tanker is filling up the station tanks. I also stick with 87 gas; Mobil, Chevron, and Shell. Good luck, that pinging sound gives me the same shriek as fingernails on a chalkboard.

Just to make sure that no stones go unturned, did you specify to Brenspeed that you're using a Bullitt CAI?

Yeah, in fact I bought the whole setup from Brenspeed (CAI + SCT + Tune).

I checked out TSB 06-9-9. Unfortunately I pretty much do all my driving in town and on regular roads, no highways.

The strange thing for me is that I am running my stock tune and instake now and that's when I had the bogging problem. Brenspeed might be able to adjust the tune for the pinging but the bogging is happening to the car with the stock setup.

I'm just going to throw this one out there. Is it possible the air flow sensor is in backwards. The little open window should point toward the incoming air flow. I have heard of people installing this sensor backwards and have drivability issues. Probably not what is happening here, but thought I would mention it.

The strange thing for me is that I am running my stock tune and instake now and that's when I had the bogging problem. Brenspeed might be able to adjust the tune for the pinging but the bogging is happening to the car with the stock setup.
Sorry, misunderstood you.
Bogging starts happening when the temps get into the 80's, and gets worse as it gets hotter, whether the tune is modded or stock. However, the stock tune feels worse because of its more conservative torque management algorithm.