water coming in from behind my dash!!

rbonella

Dec 15, 2008
@ home
Yup, just washed the stang outside in my driveway and noticed that when I hit the passenger side of the windshield with water, that water ends up dripping onto my passenger floor coming from behind the dash? I don't know if I have a bad seal around my windshield (original glass, 88GT) or if it's coming from the front cowel vent area thingamajiggy and finding it's way in some how? I am baffled!!

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you've been using a pressure washer and feeding water at odd angles where it doesn't belong, I would say there is an excellent chance that you are going to have to remove the windshield and address the leak that is most likely occuring at its base.

Hopefully a simple reseal at an auto glass shop will do the trick.

The other possiblity is that the metal base area of where the windshield sits is rotted through in certain place(s) and is now allowing water to pass into the back of your firewall.

Given the age of the car and that it is the original windshield, it may be rotted down there. I've seen cars that were solid and started leaking, and when the windlshield was removed the whole area was rotted right out, badly. Years of moisture getting trapped down there slowly took its toll, behind the mouldings and nobody every noticed until a leak started.

But, I've also seen where the rotted out area was only the size of a quarter, and easily fixable.

In any event, get it fixed!...and let us know what it was...

I've got the same thing. First started as a small white spot in the lower drivers side corner. A couple drops of water would appear on the inside corner of the dash after a heavy rain. FF a few years, That spot looks worse.. and now I have a very similar looking spot on the lower pass side that has become quite large. I don't know what the hell it is. It's inside the glass itself, not on the inside of the windshield, but between both sides and you can't touch it. Have a look.

IMAG0162.jpg

I've got the same thing. First started as a small white spot in the lower drivers side corner. A couple drops of water would appear on the inside corner of the dash after a heavy rain. FF a few years, That spot looks worse.. and now I have a very similar looking spot on the lower pass side that has become quite large. I don't know what the hell it is. It's inside the glass itself, not on the inside of the windshield, but between both sides and you can't touch it. Have a look.

Yours is the glass starting to delaminate. Time for a new windshield.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really hope it is as easy as re sealing the windshield or even replacing it! My car has 66,000 miles and lives a comfortable life in my garage and has been in the rain only a few times during its life.

if you have full glass coverage I would snap the windshield have it replaced.

if not I would call the ins company put full glass on it wait a couple months then snap the windshield

Although around here you can get the mustang glass for 75 bucks on CL

Thanks, I was wondering what that was. Guess it's just old. lol

A new windshield installed from most of the glass companies around here is around $120. It's not bad. Think I will have mine replaced soon. It's got a big scratch going across like someone let their wiper blade erode down to the metal and was scraping it. Dumb arse people.

I would just by a new one and have it replaced and be done with it. I wouldn't pull a trick with the insurance co. Some ins companies are starting to catch on with this and they're liable to not cover it or figure out you did it. Don't mess with it like that, it's not worth the risk these days.