Water Pump gasket

MustangGT95

Jul 29, 2003
Well I finally fixed my leaky radiator. Behold I found it is leaking at the water pump or plate gasket also.

Just wondering if you guys usually install the gaskets dry or if you use RTV or gasket sealer on them? I'm going to throw a new WP on since I don't want to do this twice.

I wish I could get this thing to stop leaking random fluids...

• Sponsors (?)

I've put on a couple water pumps and I've used sealer. In fact, on my engine, I couldn't find the timing cover gasket, so I just used rtv sealer and it works great.

Edit: Plus, it also helps keep the gasket in place as you place the water pump on.

Mechanics at work told me I should probably just install it dry. Just have to make sure all the old gasket is off and everything is clean.

I have used RTV as gaskets in the past. That is actually what I am using for a thermostat gasket right now. But if to much RTV would get into the system that can't be healthy for it.

I'm not going to have to remove any accessory brackets to remove the pump and plate am I? I used to be a chevy guy so it was super easy.

No but to remove the timing cover you will need to remove the balancer (depends on where it is leaking from if you will have to do that).

I sealed mine with some RTV+gasket and once it dried trimmed it all clean. :nice:

Damn I have to remove the timing cover. I guess I need to really pinpoint the leak first off.

Real quick some pics that will help you out.

mvc-450s.jpg

Old Pump mine had blown out the gasket on the timing cover side after holding out 4th for a long period of time. (one of my bolts on my water pump was stripped I suspect this causes the WP to wobble causing the gasket to have undue stress but hell who knows.)

mvc-452s.jpg

Old waterpump off just the timing cover.

mvc-455s.jpg

Balancer off.

mvc-456s.jpg

Timing cover off.

mvc-457s.jpg

View of timing cover off the car you can see the water ports at the top on each side.

mvc-464s.jpg

New everything installed before I trimmed it with a strait edge some. (it was still drying)

Good luck. :SNSign:

You put any sealant on the timing cover side? Are Ford harmonic balancers press on like chevy's? I assume it is. I will probably have to go get a balancer puller/installer then. Would be nice if I don't have to take the timing cover off. But with my luck I'm sure I will.

You put any sealant on the timing cover side? Are Ford harmonic balancers press on like chevy's? I assume it is. I will probably have to go get a balancer puller/installer then. Would be nice if I don't have to take the timing cover off. But with my luck I'm sure I will.

Yes I put some on the timing cover side, also you will have to cut the oil pump gasket and replace it with a small section. (see the grey gasket hanging off the oil pan in one of the pics) If you get a timing cover gasket set it will probably come with that and everything you need including water pump gasket and front main seal which I didn't use. (took me a few trys to get to get the right set from the parts store I chalk that up as the 94-95 being a bastard year)

And yes the balancer is a press on piece make sure you line up the keyway right or you will be throwing a balancer in the trash when you screw it up. (which I manged to do.. :notnice: )

I also went ahead and checked the timing chain for play it was within spec but my car only had 70k~? miles at the time.

Sounds like loads of fun. At least you don't have to drop the pan to do it the correct way like my old 350.

I wish it was summer so I could ride my bike while I fix this thing. Getting tired of rushing to fix stuff before work...or at dark after work.

Yah the oil pan gasket is one piece. You end up cutting it and using a smaller seal (I used a healthy dose of RTV too, I'm sure the "correct way" is to drop the pan and do a whole new gasket. I didn't and the lil gasket kit I got from the parts store has worked fine. No oil in the coolant or other way around....

It is a good bit of work but honestly it went pretty smoothly for me, the only part I screwed up was putting the Tstat back on (got the bolts reversed and almost stripped the intake but luckily it threaded correctly after I swapped them) 2nd time installing a wp/timing chain cover and first time removing. :D

You don't need to remove the timing cover to remove the water pump.The bottom 4 bolts on the timing cover and the other 4 from the oil pan into the TC will keep it tight. Just try not to pry the TC loose at the top; Instead pry between the TC and water pump. That should help you retain the TC seal to the block.

Have you made sure the water pump is not leaking from the weep hole? If you are replacing the pump anyway then it won't matter anyway.

The factory put the TC and pump on w/o RTV; It's really not necessary.

To get the WP gasket, you have to buy the timing cover gasket set. They don't sell it by itself for our car. The one that they have listed does not work for our cars.
Scott

I bought a WP and plate gasket separately already. It may not be correct. I don't think the weep hole is leaking. Appears to be the right side of the wp gasket or TC. If I ever have any time off during daylight hours I am going to check it out. The snow kinda puts a damper on working on it also.