Waxing help

NVERL8

Mar 31, 2005
Cincinnati
Ok, I have a really dumb question. Its time to wax the stang and I want to make sure I keep the paint perfect. In the past on all of my cars I always use meguires gold class wax applied by an orbital and removed by hand. All of my previous cars have turned out fine however after time I have noticed that in the right sunlight I have had small spiderweb marks in the paint. Is this a product of using the wrong kind of wax, should I be using something else. My new stang has no such marks and I would like to keep it that way. The only other different thing I am doing on this car related to cleaning is I am using a chami (spelling:shrug: ) instead of a towel or baby diaper to dry the car after washes. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I am an auto detailer, so yes it seems that your max is to harsh. best bet is go to a auto detailing supply store and ask them, people can recomend products but it will be hard to find because there are only a milion diferent products.

I would suggest the Griots Garage brand.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000

The wax is called "Best in Show" and the polish is called "Machine Polish". I super highly recommend this brand, it is the best that I have ever come by. All of their wax pads (the red ones) and polish pads (orange ones) are fantastic. They also have a plethora of other cleaners for your wheels, interior, and anything else you can think of.

Hope this helps!!

Also: its 'chamois'. And that is the best for drying. I use the baby diapers on the interior only. If the chamois does leave some water spots on the car, I use the Meguir's Quick Detail and a microfiber towel. I actually keep a bottle and a microfiber towel in the car with me at all times, in case she gets dirty on the go :).

I'm a big fan of the Meguires Tech Wax, I get lots of compliments on my ride. I even got asked if it was new a couple times, being that it's a 98, I think that wax doesn't do too bad. I use it in the summer and I use Rain-X wax in the winter since I live near the Puget Sound. It rains a lot here.

I have every brand of Meguires, I've tried Black Magic, Turtle wax Platinum and Mothers. I'd have to say i like them all the same. I really don't notice any difference between any of the waxes. One thing for sure though is that when it rains i have excellent beeding action. Its great. i've never heard of the previous two brands but i will deffinately have to try them out!

NVERL8 said:
Ok, I have a really dumb question. Its time to wax the stang and I want to make sure I keep the paint perfect. In the past on all of my cars I always use meguires gold class wax applied by an orbital and removed by hand. All of my previous cars have turned out fine however after time I have noticed that in the right sunlight I have had small spiderweb marks in the paint. Is this a product of using the wrong kind of wax, should I be using something else. My new stang has no such marks and I would like to keep it that way. The only other different thing I am doing on this car related to cleaning is I am using a chami (spelling:shrug: ) instead of a towel or baby diaper to dry the car after washes. Any insight would be appreciated.

I would start my research here http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Your spider webs are a result of what is actually "touching" your paint before/during/after your wax/polish(i.e. sponge, chamois, diaper, cotton cloth, micro-fiber). If your car is new w/o spider webs, I would clay it depending if it came by rail or had fall-out, then apply a coat of high quality wax with the right applicator. After that is when you need to watch-out for spider-webs starting. Washing/drying improperly will cause spider webbing quite quickly if you arent careful.

Thanks for the input guys. The orbital that I use to apply the waw has a soft cloth applicator, I also used to use a bath towel to dry cars after washing, I have switched to chamois since I have a new car. As far as waxes, with all the talk about Zaino I may have to give them a try.