Weber carbs/fuel injection

• Sponsors (?)

Webers were just carbs, with short, direct throats.

Hillborn was an original fuel injection, looks almost exactly like webers, but is mech. fuel inj.

I've been looking at dual injector weber throttle bodies to put on a mod 4.6 motor, if ford brings out the manifold for the weber setup on the 5.0 cammer.

Here is the site http://mazdadragracing.com/intake.html

(it doesn't work for me at the moment, I hope it comes back)

and yes, for a V8, you would need 16 injectors, but this means you can have smaller, more efficient injectors, and so get better power and fuel mileage than standard 8 injector injection.

Weber also makes fuel injection, that looks identical to its carbs but has injectors inside, with throttle bodies. I have dual weber 44IDF's on my VW and they are awsome. Webers are very good carbs, but very very picky about dirt and climate changes. You also have to keep them in excelent shape, a rebuilt on a weber is costly and very time consuming, alot of small parts and such. With mutiple carb set up though you into alot of problem with webers in the throttle shaft area wearing out quickly.

streetstang67 said:

If I remember right, Mach1One ran the holly setup on his cleveland. He said he liked it but performance wise its limited. If you plan on running under 400hp with that system, you should be ok. Over that I would look into a stock ford efi setup with aftermarket intake and injectors or go with an Accell DFI setup or F.A.S.T. setup.

I was just wondering about some stuff regarding webers, and thought I should ask here.

What is the difference between the mounting flanges of the IDA and IDF type webers? One style seems to have the two throats closer together, is that correct, and is that all there is to it?

Have a look at the link and you will see 44 idf's on a windsor !
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/gallery.html

The benefits are few compared to electronic fuel injection,but...........
Webers are cheaper than injection
Suit mustangs
Give more low down torque than four barrels
Awsome sound
And smooth out the lumpiness of a cam making it very drivable at low rpms with out it bucking like a horse !

I am seriously thinking about adding EFI to my car for performance reasons down the road, but I cannot stomach using Ford EFI, I hate the side-intake approach for aesthetic reasons. I'd sooner put a LS1 (cough cough gack!) setup on my car than that stooopid looking side mounted intake.

I chose a Holley 750 for cost reasons but also because I like the sound carbs make so much more than the sewing machine sounds of EFI. Right now I am thinking of and Edelbrock or Holley EFI like this (below) so I can run my round air cleaner where it belongs :D

3521.jpg

But if you want to talk about SOUND there's nothing like a Webber setup...NOTHING! Add to the sound the awesome performance and gorgoues appearance and they are THE ticket for a classic. Just my opinion of course :D

bigblock.jpg

347 said:
Have a look at the link and you will see 44 idf's on a windsor !
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/gallery.html

The benefits are few compared to electronic fuel injection,but...........
Webers are cheaper than injection
Suit mustangs
Give more low down torque than four barrels
Awsome sound
And smooth out the lumpiness of a cam making it very drivable at low rpms with out it bucking like a horse !

sweet ride, ......is it right hand drive? I noticed the master cylinder and what appears to be a hydraulic clutch resorvoir on the 'wrong' side.....just curious

When I was at the SEMA show, one of the Weber reps told me that they would soon be making new intakes for 289/302 & 351W's. Their fuel injection setup looked interesting, but I want to see it on a running car before I drop that kind of cash. With individual throttle bodies & runners, you can't beat the throttle response. Tuning isn't that difficult either with the carb setup. It just takes patience and the right tools. I used to help my brother tune his dual side draft 40's on his TR4. The only thing that made it time consuming was taking off the filters and putting the velocity stacks back on to use the synchrometer guage.