Weekend Experience

So, I went to Omaha this weekend to spend time with friends and family. Started out ok, midway through my trip my car started to run warmer than usual. I kept my eye on my gauge to make sure it didn't go above half. Thank goodness it didn't, but I got to my Uncle's house and checked out my Electric Fan. I have the Proform and it wasn't turning on! The thought that went through my head was... "everyone was right... these fans are junk". Instead of reacting, I investigated. Turned the knob both directions and nothing. Decided to turn the knob harder than you should counter clockwise, and the fans kicked on! PHEW! Set it to around 180* and its all fine and dandy! Lol.

Weekend went great... now on my way home. I am on the interstate doing 80(ish) with cruise control, and everytime I went down a hill and it gas wasn't engaged, the car would have a slight vibration. About 40 miles outside, the vibration got worse and I pulled over at the nearest rest stop. I had an idea there was something wrong with my driveshaft. I pulled it over a hole that I could get under, and noticed it was just that. My driveshaft was coming loose. No tools, so I had to call my better half to have her bring a 12mm 12 point socket to me. 80 mile drive for one tool lol. She wasn't too excited, but I am glad I pulled over, rather than having that thing drop on me at 80mph and hurting someone and spilling ATF on the interstate and possibly gear oil. I am not in the midst of making a driveshaft loop at work as well. I just don't understand how it came loose. Lock-tite was put on and all. Just can't recall if I put it on, or a friend, but there could be a possibility it wasn't tightened correctly to begin with.

• Sponsors (?)

I am on the interstate doing 80(ish)
Just wanted to advise you of the law and 80 "ish" is speeding my friend. I fully expect you to turn yourself in to the law. ;)

On to other things.. I am not crazy about the proform fan to begin with, where do you have the bulb sensor mounted for the fan control?

Good thing you pulled over, a drive shaft coming out at highway speeds would have been one big mess!! I always always hit my drive shaft bolts with an impact. It is possible they were overlooked and just never were tightened. For this reason I am my own mechanic and as much as I appreciate the help of my friends I do all my own work.

Will you be putting a drive shaft loop in the car?

Just wanted to advise you of the law and 80 "ish" is speeding my friend. I fully expect you to turn yourself in to the law. ;)

On to other things.. I am not crazy about the proform fan to begin with, where do you have the bulb sensor mounted for the fan control?

Good thing you pulled over, a drive shaft coming out at highway speeds would have been one big mess!! I always always hit my drive shaft bolts with an impact. It is possible they were overlooked and just never were tightened. For this reason I am my own mechanic and as much as I appreciate the help of my friends I do all my own work.

Will you be putting a drive shaft loop in the car?

Coming from Lincoln, speed limit is 75, coming through Iowa, its 70. I normally cruise around 78 and cops never look twice. I don't believe my speedo is 100% either. -5 off is what I think it is. I went by a digital clock that was set for 35 mph, and it stated I was doing 30, when speedo said 35, thats why I said is, I could be doing 75 when my speedo says 80 lol. Anyway, I am not saying I didn't do anything illegal :p

The bulb sensor touches my radiator. I have thought about moving it to a better location, for more accurate readings, but I was not aware I could, as I have not seen any write-ups. The damn proform never even stated which way to lower the temp, or raise it, which pissed me off. Its been good though, but its only seen 50* temps.

Yeah, I normally do my own work, but its always nice to have a hand to place the trans in the car. I don't use the trans jack, which I should look into.

As for the Drive Shaft loop, I will be having it made here at work and I will be installing it myself.

I'm just stirring up trouble from the previous locked thread, lol. Sorry..
As far as the sensor goes I'm not sure how big that bulb is but with a black magic fan I was able to stuff it through the web if the radiator which yielded better results.

I'm just stirring up trouble from the previous locked thread, lol. Sorry..
As far as the sensor goes I'm not sure how big that bulb is but with a black magic fan I was able to stuff it through the web if the radiator which yielded better results.

I am going to check and see if that can be done. I know its touching the top part of the radiator, not the fins.

I knew what you were getting at btw haha.

You have the proform fan that the bulb is built into the top portion like this?

378584_2795999537885_1195351919_3239345_1512685006_n.jpg

If so, you and I have the same fan and I would love to relocate the sensing bulb but I don't think it's possible. I wired it up thermostatically and have a toggle switch just in case.

You have the proform fan that the bulb is built into the top portion like this?

If so, you and I have the same fan and I would love to relocate the sensing bulb but I don't think it's possible. I wired it up thermostatically and have a toggle switch just in case.

Yep same one. I was unaware you could relocate it. I am going to try this weekend, weather permitting.

On a side note, with a crappy weekend, I got my car back from the shop with new 20% tint all the way around.

Ignore the dirt, snow was melting today lol.
206247_10151495453303048_322320075_n.jpg

Attachments

• 206247_10151495453303048_322320075_n.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 206247_10151495453303048_322320075_n.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna have to get my windows tinted as well. It makes for a much better look. And I'm also going to look into the bulb relocation. I'd much rather have it IN the fins than touching the very top lip of the radiator. I've also thought about shimming my top fan brackets and doing something with the lower ones to drop the radiator down about half an inch or so to get it into better contact with the radiator. Who knows what I'll do :p

I'm gonna have to get my windows tinted as well. It makes for a much better look. And I'm also going to look into the bulb relocation. I'd much rather have it IN the fins than touching the very top lip of the radiator. I've also thought about shimming my top fan brackets and doing something with the lower ones to drop the radiator down about half an inch or so to get it into better contact with the radiator. Who knows what I'll do :p

Thats a great idea. I haven't thought about that. I work at a company where we can do metal fabricating and I can make new top mounts. I hated installing it, bending the mounts to get it to tighten up. Not my way of doing things, and it was definitely an uncomfortable feeling.

I paid $120 for all 5 windows to be tinted (including the two small ones). Not bad at all, and it looks 100x's better. The tint was purple on Thursday. Got a call from the girlfriend, saying a friend of her sister's who works at Ziebart, was having a special. I jumped on it with quickness lol.

This is why I always keep a small tool bag with me at all times along with some extra oil, p/s fluid, brake fluid, trans fluid and an extra gallon of AF I keep it in the spare tire location for now until I get my amps installed in there then I will make a custom tray for all of these things to go into.

however I'm glad nothing went bad and you found the issue before things went south.

tint looks great man I wish i could do 20% all around here I've got 20% from the quarter glass back drivers stuff has to be 35% of lighter.

This is why I always keep a small tool bag with me at all times along with some extra oil, p/s fluid, brake fluid, trans fluid and an extra gallon of AF I keep it in the spare tire location for now until I get my amps installed in there then I will make a custom tray for all of these things to go into.

however I'm glad nothing went bad and you found the issue before things went south.

tint looks great man I wish i could do 20% all around here I've got 20% from the quarter glass back drivers stuff has to be 35% of lighter.

Thanks! Here in Iowa, you can have all your windows behind the drivers as dark as you want. The two front are suppose to be 75% or lighter. Since I usually drive with my windows down, especially in the spring/summer, they won't see the tint lol.

Yeah, I usually keep tools with me, at least the essentials. Sockets, ratchet and wrenches. This time I was in a rush to leave town and forgot. The only thing I don't carry with me, is extra fluids, except for oil. I use to carry this when I had a rear main leak. Thank goodness I don't have that anymore lol.

Lol, why wouldn't I be ok with it?! :)

I will definitely let you know what I come up with!

It's funny you say that. With some of the fab work I did with my car I was accused by a local chassis guy that I stole his proprietary design. In all actuality I commented to someone that I wanted my mini tub to look as good as one of the cars he had done. To me that's a compliment, it was some how twisted and taken as far as someone heard I was under one of his cars with a tape measure. Wtf? I understand protecting you niche to an extent but neither him nor I were the first to mini tub a mustang. It's since been all cleared up and we are friends now but I certainly commend 88lx5.0h for asking.. Some people for whatever reason can get really salty if you try to copy their work. I for one take that as a compliment and would gladly help someone that wanted more info.

It's funny you say that. With some of the fab work I did with my car I was accused by a local chassis guy that I stole his proprietary design. In all actuality I commented to someone that I wanted my mini tub to look as good as one of the cars he had done. To me that's a compliment, it was some how twisted and taken as far as someone heard I was under one of his cars with a tape measure. Wtf? I understand protecting you niche to an extent but neither him nor I were the first to mini tub a mustang. It's since been all cleared up and we are friends now but I certainly commend 88lx5.0h for asking.. Some people for whatever reason can get really salty if you try to copy their work. I for one take that as a compliment and would gladly help someone that wanted more info.
It's funny the tool thing came up. I don't have a garage at my home so I rent one for my fox a couple miles down the road. All my tools live in my dd (2012 F-250) which I leave at the garage when I get my car so I literally don't have even a screw driver at my house never the less on the road in my fox. I just went out and set up a nice little tool kit to keep in the trunk. My truck is brand new and full of tools but my 20 year old car didn't have any.

That's just sad. If you showboat your work, or post it on the internet, don't expect it to stay an original idea forever lol. Like you said, if someone uses your idea, its a compliment. If you don't want anyone to know, don't show it. Good thing you were able to talk it out with the guy and are friends now. I am all about help. Sometimes its came back to bite me in my ass, when I need help, but it just the way things are lol.