weight

215what

Apr 14, 2005
NM
is it worth guting from the back seat to the trunk i mean every thing even the back speakers down to metal.will I save a lot of weight? does any have pic's that i can see what it will look like.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. It's worth it, in my opinion.

The upper rear seat is suprisingly heavy- it has strong metal brackets running all around it. The most weight will be lost from this, along with the spare tire and jack.

Not exact figures here, just my guestimates (I'm shooting low):

Spare tire- 15lbs
Jack- 15lbs
Upper rear seat- 30lbs
Lower rear seat- 10lbs
Trunk panels and padding- 5lbs
Rear speakers/amps- 10lbs

I'm anxious to get back to the track, as I've recently done the above, plus lost my front foglights, swapped out my HEAVY front seats for lightweight Summit seats, removed all carpet from the car, removed the rear dogbone, took off the strut tower brace, and am working on yanking the AC and will remove the spoiler as well. I also have no cats (-20lbs, at least) and no tailpipes (another 15lbs, at least).

Hey, while we're here. A little later I was going to make a thread for everyone to help compose a list of stuff on our car and what weights they are. Like a complete list of weights. For instance, our stock hood and a cobra R hood. Or like my friend has his a/c compressor and smog pump off, i'm going to weigh those again. Anybody else have any numbers to get started though?

215what said:
is it worth guting from the back seat to the trunk i mean every thing even the back speakers down to metal.will I save a lot of weight? does any have pic's that i can see what it will look like.

I'de focus more on dumping weight in the front. Like doing a fiberglass or cf hood. I think yanking the back seat adds to much road noise.