Weird timing problem

Desert Stallion

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2001
Queen Creek, AZ
Okay, so I've been trying to get this N/A HCI combo to run for a week or so now, and I've got it to idle and that's about it. Basically it's AFR 185 heads, TFS Track Heat intake, blower cam, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF calibrated to the injectors, 24lbs injectors, 190lph in-tank. This car had a NOVI, but it was removed when I replaced the head gaskets so it's now a N/A car.

Basically, the thing's been running pig rich, wouldn't idle, was fouling plugs, yadda yadda. Finally the other day after checking distributor position for the umpteenth time and CLOSING spark plug gap to .044, the car would idle at 10-12* with the SPOUT pulled with no real problems, but as soon as I put the SPOUT back in and restarted the timing shot up to 30* and the car started to backfire.

Pulled the SPOUT and it was right at 10* and idling okay again.

All through this time the car still smells rich, though the pressure guage is reading like 32psi with the vac line attached to the adjustable regulator. Without it's like 40psi.

Previously, the first time the car was started it had the out-of-the-package plug gap of .038-ish on the 3924 plugs, and the car was running at 30* timing with the SPOUT connected and was even driveable, but it had absolutely NO power. It was pig rich then as well, but I thought it was related to a vac leak that I later fixed.

So, here's what I'm thinking... 1-Re-gap the plugs to .038 where at least the car was running and sell the thing 'cause it's really ticking me off. 2-Re-gap the plugs and hope that after a few miles more driving the computer will figure things out and it'll start running right. 3-One of y'all will have some all-knowing insight for me as to why this thing is running so damned rich and why the computer feels it necessary to run at 30* timing to make the car idle and I can fix it and make things all better.

Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

You're supposed to set fuel pressure with the vac off, so maybe pull the vac line off and move it down a little bit and see if that helps. I've read about guys running their cars without the SPOUT in, so I guess that's an option, although I would put it near the bottom of my list. I'm thinkin that combo may not be very good N/A, but I don't know if that would cause the problems you're having - most likely not. You might consider hooking the EGR back up.