Well I wasn't impressed ....

I got a chance to see the new 05 up close at yesterday. Outside it looked kind of.... well bland. This one was red and it was one of the media cars. It really needs the hood scoops back to break up the wide expansive hood. Some of the lines did not match up very well and it had a very 'plastic' feel to some of the parts (mirrors, front air dam, rear spoiler). Now I understand that this car is a media car and it has been driven a lot and many people have passed through it but I feel this is what will happen after 1 to 2 years of ownership.

Now the inside wasn't so bad. The shifter feels a heck of a lot better position wise. The center stack to shifter position is almost perfect. The quality of the interior pieces were pretty good. I did have a hard time reading the deep set gages when the lights were off with the sun overhead. The seats felt very stiff and rigid, more support than my 01 GT but not as good as my Mach. Effort could be made to improve these. Just to be sure I sat in both passenger and drivers seat.

The engine looks good. The air box has to go. There is NO place for it to suck in air except AGAINST the front fender. No hole, no snorkle just airbox inlet 1 inch of space and fender. Also the air intake tube crushes with the slightest pressure. It is way too soft.

The tires are another trade off. Why the heck would they put touring tires on a GT? Also rims look like they came off the next Lincoln LS. The exhaust is also very quiet. They had to move the car for the awards show and I did not know it was behind me until the shadow crept up by me. They did not get on it of course but even a stock GT has some burble when cruising by.

Now these are just my opinions and flame if you will, but for I was expecting a little more innovation for the all new Mustang. When you have a clean slate to start Ford needs to make a product worthy of the effort. I felt Ford cattered to the rental car and fleet inventories of America and the GT pays the price.

It will be a shame to see styling changes so soon in its life but I fear they are on the horizon in 2007.

• Sponsors (?)

You said a lot of the same things I said when I saw it. Bland exterior, cheap plastic parts. Being as tall as I am the shifter in the current Mustang is the perfect place for me. I can't wait for them to show up on dealership's lots so I can see it in different colors. I don't like the pictures I have seen on it in red but it looks really good in silver, nice in yellow, and bad@$$ in black (espically with the red leather interior). A set of stripes really helps its appearance too.

Look, it's got 300+ HP, a SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer body, a SIGNIFICANTLY better suspension design, it's SIGNIFICANTLY safer, it's got better ergonomics, and the price is about the same (i.e. cheap). Go ahead and put on some fake scoops and stripes if it makes you feel better but the fact is it's a MUCH BETTER CAR. Also realize that there are some people who don't like fake scoops and stripes--and they are a lot easier to put on than they are to take off.

I heard an '05 floored in 1st gear at the Bellevue show in WA. It's louder and crisper sounding than the '04 GT under throttle, but quieter at idle. Which is perfect, in my book.
it had a very 'plastic' feel to some of the parts (mirrors, front air dam, rear spoiler).
You've got me scratching my head on that one. Please indulge me, WHAT would you suggest Ford make those components out of?? Aluminum? Carbon Fiber? The components you specified are pretty much made out of the same stuff across the entire spectrum of the auto industry, from Kia to Rolls Royce. Considering that the panel fit and gap tolerance of the outgoing Mustang is some of the worst most ill-fitting of any car on the market, I can't imagine that the '05 would be even worse. The pre-production cars I saw in WA and in Nashville had extremely good fit and finish. But everything we're looking at is pre-production, which really means nothing. We've got to see actual production vehicles to make a valid observation.

66Satellite said:
Look, it's got 300+ HP, a SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer body, a SIGNIFICANTLY better suspension design, it's SIGNIFICANTLY safer, it's got better ergonomics, and the price is about the same (i.e. cheap). Go ahead and put on some fake scoops and stripes if it makes you feel better but the fact is it's a MUCH BETTER CAR. Also realize that there are some people who don't like fake scoops and stripes--and they are a lot easier to put on than they are to take off.

The car just does not look agressive from the front or rear. I am not saying Ford did not make any improvements, I just feel they could have continued to make improvements for little or no extra cost. The hood looks like it belongs on any plain sedan out there.

MineralgreyGT01 said:
The car just does not look agressive from the front or rear. I am not saying Ford did not make any improvements, I just feel they could have continued to make improvements for little or no extra cost. The hood looks like it belongs on any plain sedan out there.

I think that Ford will continue to make subtle changes to it and add some styling pieces (scoops, stripes, etc...) after the initial launch of the car. Personally I like the 05's looks and clean styling. I'm not a big fan of fake scoops unless they actually serve a purpose.

RICKS said:
I heard an '05 floored in 1st gear at the Bellevue show in WA. It's louder and crisper sounding than the '04 GT under throttle, but quieter at idle. Which is perfect, in my book. You've got me scratching my head on that one. Please indulge me, WHAT would you suggest Ford make those components out of?? Aluminum? Carbon Fiber? The components you specified are pretty much made out of the same stuff across the entire spectrum of the auto industry, from Kia to Rolls Royce. Considering that the panel fit and gap tolerance of the outgoing Mustang is some of the worst most ill-fitting of any car on the market, I can't imagine that the '05 would be even worse. The pre-production cars I saw in WA and in Nashville had extremely good fit and finish. But everything we're looking at is pre-production, which really means nothing. We've got to see actual production vehicles to make a valid observation.

I agree, plastic is plastic but when you touch it it feels thin and moves very easy. For example the black plastic air dam diverter in front slides around in the bumper frame with a good 1/4 inch play on each side. This is a production piece to be found on all the 05's. It is not fully supported on the ends and can be pushed in on either side a fair amount. I looked under the front and it was held with standard Ford mounting hardware so it is probably how it will be mounted. Now to Fords credit the interior pieces felt thicker and more rigid (air vents, arm rest lid, door grab bars).

You are right about pre-production vehicles. But I think if Ford is getting this car out there to be touched and felt they should be putting ringers out there. We all want this car to be a success but my 2nd impression (first at the auto show) just left me a little longing and wanting more. Sure the performance is going to be there and the handling but you don't use them everyday. But every single person that drives a Mustang always looks around just hoping to catch the eye of someone looking at their car and wishing they were the driver and not you. That you use everyday.

This car will turn some heads, but Ford should have (need) to go a little further to break it out of its LS platform roots.

ElCid2006 said:
I'm not a big fan of fake scoops unless they actually serve a purpose.
I agree with that. That was one of my biggest issues with my 01. Not hard to plumb some scoops simular to the show car hood. The Camaro SS had only a slightly functional hood scoop but it was still a hole routed to the foward facing throttlebody..

ElCid2006 said:
I think that Ford will continue to make subtle changes to it and add some styling pieces (scoops, stripes, etc...) after the initial launch of the car. Personally I like the 05's looks and clean styling. I'm not a big fan of fake scoops unless they actually serve a purpose.

I agree with you there. Scoops for the sake of scoops really doesn't do anything for me. Stripes are OK but again, I could live without them. I really like the clean, uncluttered lines of the '05 GT. Save the (functional) scoops for the SE and Cobra.

MineralgreyGT01 said:
I agree, plastic is plastic but when you touch it it feels thin and moves very easy. For example the black plastic air dam diverter in front slides around in the bumper frame with a good 1/4 inch play on each side. This is a production piece to be found on all the 05's. It is not fully supported on the ends and can be pushed in on either side a fair amount. I looked under the front and it was held with standard Ford mounting hardware so it is probably how it will be mounted. .

Funny I didn't see you in the open to go meetings...Was it a 1PP or an FEU unit? Do you know about the late changes? What part level was it? :)

MineralgreyGT01 said:
You are right about pre-production vehicles. But I think if Ford is getting this car out there to be touched and felt they should be putting ringers out there. .
Then call up Visteon, Plastech, Delphi, Lear and all the others that slow up the show and tell them. :bang:

MineralgreyGT01 said:
We all want this car to be a success but my 2nd impression (first at the auto show) just left me a little longing and wanting more. Sure the performance is going to be there and the handling but you don't use them everyday. But every single person that drives a Mustang always looks around just hoping to catch the eye of someone looking at their car and wishing they were the driver and not you. That you use everyday.

This car will turn some heads, but Ford should have (need) to go a little further to break it out of its LS platform roots.
If you do that it will cost the customer. Ford has to spend the money where it's most needed and get by where it isn't... This costing was determined back in 2001 in the system design reviews. Why does the customer have to suffer this? Because trial lawyers have driven medical costs up which increases the coverage burden on mega-employers like Ford (350,000+ employees), and when you have a retiree base that is living longer with these lawyer-driven costs you get undesirable cheap materials. So don't vote for Edwards. :D

Also, a high volume car like Mustang was designed with focus groups to maximize the hit factor... with plenty of room to customize.
The 2005, different but good. Overall driving impressions are better across the board which will enhance the nameplate to it's rightful position, a long time waiting for it too.

MineralgreyGT01 said:
The tires are another trade off. Why the heck would they put touring tires on a GT?

The tires are actually an ultra high-performance all-season design from Pirelli. Take a look at this Tire Rack comparison article and the owner reviews for the P-Zero Neros. At $128.00 from the Tire Rack, they seem to be a reasonable price/performance trade-off. Many people complained about the Goodyear Gatorbacks, which are an ultra high performance summer design. With the improved weight distribution and traction control system, the tire choice makes sense and should work well on the '05.

MineralgreyGT01 said:

The platform itself is an all-new one, "inspired by" but not a direct make-over of the LS platform. This information came from the Ford engineers who presented at the MCA 40th in Nashville, TN this past April.

Spackengackle said:
Funny I didn't see you in the open to go meetings...Was it a 1PP or an FEU unit? Do you know about the late changes? What part level was it? :)

I have no clue what part it was :) I am just an average guy looking foward to the release of the new car. All I can report are my opinions and how easy it was to move it around and push it in with 2 fingers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0917-11a.jpg
    0917-11a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,208
asa96fmc said:
The tires are actually an ultra high-performance all-season design from Pirelli. Take a look at this Tire Rack comparison article and the owner reviews for the P-Zero Neros. At $128.00 from the Tire Rack, they seem to be a reasonable price/performance trade-off. Many people complained about the Goodyear Gatorbacks, which are an ultra high performance summer design. With the improved weight distribution and traction control system, the tire choice makes sense and should work well on the '05.

Shoot I think bicycle tires would be better than Gatorbacks, and I agree that the Pirelli's are nice tires. I guess what I was trying to say is that at least 2/3's (again my opinion) of Mustang GT owners will swap out tires for something a little bigger and maybe a little more aggressive. Next to exhaust this seems to be a popular mod, why not start the show off right and give it a good stance. They gave it the 31 spline axles and 3.55 gears, complete the package. :shrug:

asa96fmc said:
The platform itself is an all-new one, "inspired by" but not a direct make-over of the LS platform. This information came from the Ford engineers who presented at the MCA 40th in Nashville, TN this past April.
Yup I agree :nice: That is why I said roots and not the LS platform.

I really need to learn how to imbed more thoughts in one post :)

MineralgreyGT01 said:
Shoot I think bicycle tires would be better than Gatorbacks, and I agree that the Pirelli's are nice tires. I guess what I was trying to say is that at least 2/3's (again my opinion) of Mustang GT owners will swap out tires for something a little bigger and maybe a little more aggressive. Next to exhaust this seems to be a popular mod, why not start the show off right and give it a good stance. They gave it the 31 spline axles and 3.55 gears, complete the package. :shrug:

Cost, I suppose, is one factor, and suspension tuning the other...some people have reported in their test drives that it is a "nice riding" car, which bodes well for its acceptance by a broader customer base. The 17" tires, with a higher sidewall, provide that ride comfort. For those who can wait, the 18" wheel/tire combo looks to be a good alternative. And if you can believe what was said about the plant not being able to accomodate the installation of tires that size, it would explain why they are not there for the start of production.

PS - Are you a member of the Mach 1 Registry? If so, what's your username there? Your avitar picture looks familiar to me.

asa96fmc said:
PS - Are you a member of the Mach 1 Registry? If so, what's your username there? Your avitar picture looks familiar to me.
Ummmm .... Maybe :) Yes I am, Comp Orange 04.

I can't get the mods to change my user name here :( Stangnet was my first mustang site and still remains one of my favorites. Shoot I still pay for my Goldmember status :)

MineralgreyGT01 said:
I have no clue what part it was :) I am just an average guy looking foward to the release of the new car. All I can report are my opinions and how easy it was to move it around and push it in with 2 fingers.QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you know about plastic. The fact that you can push this part in and move it around with two fingers is a good thing. It's a sign of quality and durablity. Typical interior parts are made from glass filled ABS which is much stiffer and has a low impact rating. Exterior components are made from polypro's and other such materials which are far less rigid and have a very high impact rating. They are virtually impossible to break. When road debris comes up and hits it, it kind of flexes and bounces back. Good thing. We manufacture components for the new stang, 8 to be exact. Ford has required a material that has never been used for the application before. The industry considers it overkill. It's a much better material, functional charachteristis are far higher than what they need to be. These components are directly related to the safety functions of the car. Ford has stopped at nothing to insure quality here. Once again, good thing.

ponyboy66, you stole my thunder. The LAST thing you want from a bumper cover is too much rigidity, and you also don't want it flush up against any steel structure without air or cushion in-between. That allows the car to absorb minor impacts without suffering any cosmetic damage. Insurance companies demand this, as they don't want cars out there that require a new bumper cover, with paint and labor, every time a bozo whacks a parking curb or bumps the car in front of them. What you are complaining about isn't lack of quality, it's actually functional and purposeful design.