Went to the track today...

79'293stang

Jan 5, 2003
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Today was a nice day so I hit the track with the SVO. Elevation was 885ft, 86degrees. I was hoping to dip into the 13s but I was having severe ignition issues that culminated into me scrubbing my last two runs and calling it a night. I think it is caused by the cheapo wires I got from autozone after a wire got burned for a quick fix that ended up staying around. Timing was set at 10 degrees base and 15lbs of boost. Full interior, full weight, 3/4 tank of gas.
I hit 98mph on my first run out with a 2.7 60 ft, I over cooked it and spun through first and second gear and hit a blazingly fast 15.5 1/4.
My fastest run is as follows.
R/T - .440
60' - 1.976
330 - 5.946
1/8 - 9.266
mph - 75.30
1000 - 12.090
1/4 - 14.500
mph - 93.78

• Sponsors (?)

Stock suspension and street tires(Goodyear Eagle F1 All season 245-45-17). I kept it at 15lbs because right now I am still on the factory fuel system, including stock sized injectors and my combo is well above its max, so 15lbs even had me a tad worried, but this was my last chance to get to the track for a couple years so I figured I may as well.

For some reason I thought that the stock system could support up to 20lbs of boost. Are you running the stock intercooler? Why is it the last time for a couple of years since you can go to the track?

The factory t3 can push up to 22lbs. With the level of modification I have in my engine I outflow my injectors, I ran the 15lbs even hesitantly due to the fear of a lean condition which would in turn burn my pistons up. I run a turbocoupe intercooler. I had plans on upgrading to a 255lph in tank pump and 72lb injectors but I am out of time and the car is going back into storage, just hopefully not for 4 years again...

I went to Cedar Falls raceway. Congrats on getting that on the road. I miss driving my 79, theres just something about those old four eyes that makes me happy and tingly inside. When I was in North Carolina a couple months ago I saw a 82 GT T-tops that was black and meticulously restored, it was by far the nicest one I have ever seen.

Thanks for the offer on the injectors, I think that I am just going to hold out for 72's when I return, while I am away it is going to be in Pittsburgh to get a full body restoration and stored for me till I get back.

Today I finally got around to checking everything out. Put new motocraft plugs and wires in and it was like night and day. While taking out my old plugs I discovered that one had a huge crack in the ceramic portion of it with a very wide gap, so there was my mystery misfire that was causing so much fuss... I attribute that crack to me most likely over tightening it when I put new plugs in about 5k ago. I am seriously considering hitting the track back up tommorow to see how it runs on all 4.