Wet sand before or after clear coat?

Just what to know if you wet sand the base coat then spray the clear and wet sand the clear or do you prime-base-clear than wet sand just the clear.
I would think that the base coat would show imperfections unless you wet sand it before you hit it with the clear.

'95 Mustang GT 5 speed,Artic white(flaking like crazy), K&N filter, :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

definitely after the clear. the wet sanding is mostly just to smooth out the orange peel surface you get when you spray the clear. it's best to get rid of imperfections before you shoot the color if possible.

Joe

How hard is it to wetsand? My car needs it bad, but I'd need someone to shoot a coat of clear on there. Is it very possible to mess the car up if u don't do it right? Do you sand everything or just the metal? Also I'm not sure if my paint is thick enough, as it does look a little thin from a couple rock chips I've seen.

It is easy, as I have found out from my last 5 paintjobs, to either Sand through, or Buff through the clear and the color. I have done both and it seems to happen on edges, corners, etc.. You would need a good automotive buffer, Dewalt makes one, but I think it's about $200.. There are some good sites that explain how to do it.. http://www.carcraft.com/howto/926/
comes to mind..

Thanks. Once I get a little money saved up I may look into this a lot more, bookmarked for now. A lot of dead red paint comes off on the applicator pad during wax, and the car has a fade to it. A wetsand would really bring this car out. Does the paint have to be so thick though? Not sure if my factory paint is thick enough.

Don't mean to hyjack this thread but does anyone have a link to somewhere that tells you how to paint cars. I wanna paint my engine bay and have never done it and I've been looking for an excuse to go out buy my own materials and do it myself.

squall9393 said:
Don't mean to hyjack this thread but does anyone have a link to somewhere that tells you how to paint cars. I wanna paint my engine bay and have never done it and I've been looking for an excuse to go out buy my own materials and do it myself.
i just bought and started reading a really good book called "How to Paint your Car" very informative and easy to understand. i also just picked up the monster garage "how to custom paint damn near anything". it covers some of the same stuff, but had tons of info on custom stuff (flames, graphics, and pinstriping) both were about 20 bucks

94yellowsleeper said:
i just bought and started reading a really good book called "How to Paint your Car" very informative and easy to understand. i also just picked up the monster garage "how to custom paint damn near anything". it covers some of the same stuff, but had tons of info on custom stuff (flames, graphics, and pinstriping) both were about 20 bucks

Thanks, Just found this book on ebay for $19.00.

There is a ton of info on the internet. You just gotta search.

Usually most people recommend 3 lights coats of base, then 3 coats of clear. I prefer 6 and 6. That way if i have any small imperfections(runs, sags, stuff like that) i have enough paint to wet sand it and not go through. Also, when you start buffing, you have to be very careful around the edges. Usually the nooks, crannys and edges should be done by hand.