What are the differences between the old Boss 302 blocks and newer 302's?

I just bought a '69 Boss 302 block for my new buildup and would like to know what difference there are that I should be aware of, other than it being a non-roller block.

I was told by somebody that you can't put regular 302 heads on it, but I am pretty certain he is wrong on that. Do I need different heads gaskets? Is the front timing all the same? Anything else I should know about it?

• Sponsors (?)

A Boss block will have 4-bolt main caps on the #'s 2, 3, & 4 journals and will have threaded freeze plugs. If it doesn't have these two features, it's not a Boss block. The Boss takes Cleveland style heads.

I know for sure it's a genuine '69 Boss block because I checked the number stamped on it, so I'm not questioning it's genuitity. I'm just wondering what will be different from my current 92 302 block.

Wythors, so you're saying I can't use regular 302 heads on it, such as the TFS heads I have right now?

you can use everything from a late model 302, the only thing you will have to change, is the lifters. You need to buy the tie-bar lifters from crane.

I have a 70 Boss block that i had in my car for about a month before i realized the block had a damaged head bolt hole.

Everything bolted right up though, just have to buy a 2 peice rear main seal, and the lifters, and you are good to go. You can use windsor style heads on it, just make sure you buy head gaskets for a windsor, and not for a boss. if you buy ones for a boss engine, the watter passages will be wrong.

Take it from a guy that has done it, just make sure your machinest goes over every part of that block, the thing is damn near 40 years old, you better be certain the thing is ready to run.

you can use everything from a late model 302, the only thing you will have to change, is the lifters. You need to buy the tie-bar lifters from crane.

I have a 70 Boss block that i had in my car for about a month before i realized the block had a damaged head bolt hole.

Everything bolted right up though, just have to buy a 2 peice rear main seal, and the lifters, and you are good to go. You can use windsor style heads on it, just make sure you buy head gaskets for a windsor, and not for a boss. if you buy ones for a boss engine, the watter passages will be wrong.

Take it from a guy that has done it, just make sure your machinest goes over every part of that block, the thing is damn near 40 years old, you better be certain the thing is ready to run.

I was getting a little scared hearing from 2 people that I could only use Cleveland heads on it, since I already bought new TFS heads for it.

I already bought the tie-bar lifters, so I'm good there.

Ok, thanks for your help.