What are the HP gains from a new exhaust?

denjr70

Apr 14, 2005
I was hoping to pick the brains of some folks who have already upgraded their exhaust systems. Since I'm on a budget, I can only do one upgrade at a time. The majority of the car guys I know suggest that I do the exhaust before I do the CAI. What are some of the HP and Torque gains you guys are getting when you replace the stock exhaust? Also, what do you suggest I get?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Are you planning to go with a full replacement, including cats and even headers? Or are you just doing an axle-back (basically, new mufflers)? Or somewhere in between?

Unless you're planning to install long tube headers and an offroad X-pipe, then you'll get only a few hp and a few lb-ft of torque by upgrading other exhaust system components. Ford did a great job with the design of the stock exhaust system. And it also has a good sound IMHO.

However, you'll get 20-25 rwhp and 15-20 lb-ft of rwt from an aftermarket CAI and a modified tune. Recommend this for your initial upgrade since you'll get more bang for the buck.

check out the western motorsports tuner with xcal2 package at brenspeed for 675. It's probably the best bang for the buck upgrade there is for intake and tuner right now. I'm saving my pennies up for it now. They claim 23 hp on their website without the tune.