What battery are you guys runnin........

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Like the title says, I have an exide in mine now, it fell over a couple of weeks ago, and I put more acid and water in and gave it a full day charge, and it lasted one day, So what would be a good batt. for my stang, I need something strong alot af cranking amps, an 800 cranking amp power wont even turn the starter motor over, so you get the idea. My car has about a 10.5 comp. ratio I believe, definately not the stock 9.0. Also the alternator dosent like to charge alot, I have the fuel pump switch on the battery, and it runs right off the batt, so if I hooked that to the terminal in the engine bay, would that help in the charging?

Thanks Josh

• Sponsors (?)

i am just using an energizer battry from Pep boys. But i can't really help, I wanted an optima red top, heard great things bout those bad boys but peppies didn't have them in stock and i needed one bad

beat me to it...

Go to discount auto parts, they will check your battery for free, and if its dead they will charge it to 100% for free. Get a 3g alternator.

I have a cheap discount auto battery and its died three time, they charged it back up and ran like new till my alternator blew up and now I have no charging problems.

Oh and if you buy a battery from discount auto and its bad or defected, or completley dies they will replace it for free. But if you must get a battery, I think optima;s are the best, pricey though. But again, im gonna go ahead and guess your alternator is about to die.

and come to think of it the alt. is supposed to be new. would the fuseable links cause this? i wired most of them out, cuz one day a couple of them went bye, bye. Happened like this: batt fell over leaked alot of acid out, cleaned my car for like 5 hours straight to clean it up, bought a new batt, put the cables on backwards, I felt like I wanted to kill my self cuz the car would get no power,and blew the fuseable links out, three of them to be exact, and then I put more water in the batt and charged it up for a solid day, and also mounted it so none of this crap happens again, and now the batt dies after 6-7 start-ups. Anyway Ill update yall tomorrow on this, I might just get a new optima red top and solve my problems, only reason is I cant convince myself to get one, there friggin expensive, and I dont have a job yet, (training this week) so maybe I can re-imburst my parental units.

josh

well how bout this, start up the car, disconnect the ground on the battery, if it keeps going strong, chances are your battery is bad, if it ever dies with the battery unhooked then its most likely your alternator

I payed squat for my energizer, supposed to be 79.99 but my dad gets the Discover Card awards thing and puts it towards stuff thats practical, 4 cards of 25 bucks each that my dad gave me b/c I was in need and he wasn't set back and I have a great new battery. Oh and w/ the energizer if it goes bad within 4 years they will replace it no questions asked, if it ever leaves you stranded, call the number on the side of the battery and someone wil be out to jump you. and it has like a 7-8 year prorated warranty. Can't go wrong I guess

hey i have a problem

my battery... total dead today. so i take it out and charge is 8 hours. still wont even crank the little V6 of mine over.

right now i need a new battery ASAP because my stang is going away for a little bit :sad: but its getting painted at my dads friends house in the next couple weeks :nice:

so what would be a good battery to get that would be cheap for the time being? i mean like under 60.00 bucks.

the battery i 'had' in my car was a 625 cranking power.

i need something maybe in the 800 range. Even the 625 it was a pita to start. it would slow crank a little faster crank then it would start. anyone have an idea? o yeah and taking a battery out of my moms car is not a option. neither is my dads

o yeah. my battery right now is smaller then my tractor battery :shurg:

that's how you test your alternator. you turn the car on. then you pull the.........i believe its the negative side of the battery and if the car keeps running then your alternator is working fine. if it dies your need a new alternator

we thought mine was dead. thats how we tested. but i still think it needs a new one. it wont charge the battery.

sorry.that was off topic.

slow95gt said:
well i think you just sloved my prob, last week while going to school my negative cable came off and it died instantly, But the fuel pump is powered off the batt, so is it still suppose to run?

Any time

Just thought bout that and its b/c the power side of the cable is still powering the pump but it is bypassing the battery so to speak as in that the battery is just a way to route he power from the alt. to the pump but the battery won't interfere unless it is grounded. If that makes any sense. And a GA cruise would be nice, I had almost a 2 hr cruise w/ 795.0 pacecar to the track, good times.

ryan218 said:
hey i have a problem

my battery... total dead today. so i take it out and charge is 8 hours. still wont even crank the little V6 of mine over.

right now i need a new battery ASAP because my stang is going away for a little bit :sad: but its getting painted at my dads friends house in the next couple weeks :nice:

so what would be a good battery to get that would be cheap for the time being? i mean like under 60.00 bucks.

the battery i 'had' in my car was a 625 cranking power.

i need something maybe in the 800 range. Even the 625 it was a pita to start. it would slow crank a little faster crank then it would start. anyone have an idea? o yeah and taking a battery out of my moms car is not a option. neither is my dads

o yeah. my battery right now is smaller then my tractor battery :shurg:

Umm if you need a cheap battery dont ask online for the cheapest one, go to the closest store and find the cheapest one..pretty simple. Itll probably be like 40 bucks. The one I have is 40 bucks and it says silver on it idk what kind it is but it does the job..

I run a red top, and it works great, and stays clean too.

If you swap, its always good to change the post connectors, and get some baking soda and mix it with water and clean the clamps, connectors and wires down, it'll take off all of the acid and crud if you have some buildup on the wires and connectors.