What carb would you run?

85LXCoupe

Founding Member
Aug 27, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'm looking to get a new carb this spring. I'm not happy with the Edelbrock at all.

Combo is Edelbrock heads, RPM intake, B cam, headers, prochamber and jacobs ignition. A bunch of other small stuff, too, like electric fan, battery relocate kit etc...

What carb would you recommend? I'm thinking of a BIG 650...

• Sponsors (?)

85LXCoupe said:
I'm looking to get a new carb this spring. I'm not happy with the Edelbrock at all.

Combo is Edelbrock heads, RPM intake, B cam, headers, prochamber and jacobs ignition. A bunch of other small stuff, too, like electric fan, battery relocate kit etc...

What carb would you recommend? I'm thinking of a BIG 650...

i have a 650 with edelbrock heads and a vic jr.

way too rich on the dyno, but some "expert" put too big of jets in it.

ive had years of trouble free service out of the standard holley 650 dp, i have a 0-4777-c

i just installed a 650 speed demon on my car last night. frikken amazing. I would definately recommend that carb. Mechanical secondaries for maunal, Vac. for auto's.

J.

i would try a barry grant 650 vac. model.i know that some people don't like his carbs but we put on one my brothers 400sb 80 malibu and it picked up .2 tenths over the holley street avenger.we used the 750 vac. and it performed flawless once i removed the choke.vac. carbs are alittle more forgiving when it comes to tuning also.

what's wrong with the edelbrock. i have a 600 cfm edelbrock and have no problems. is it running to rich for you, if so then check to see if your psi is at 5.5 because the edelbrock book says that is what it needs to run at, mine is also rich.

83GT289 said:
i just installed a 650 speed demon on my car last night. frikken amazing. I would definately recommend that carb. Mechanical secondaries for maunal, Vac. for auto's.

J.

I definately agree. Keith Craft dynoed my 408 with one of Red LeBlanc's well worked vaccum secondary carbs. 589 hp. When i showed up with my 750 speed demon he pulled Red's off and put on the demon. Right out of the box it picked up 18 hp with no tuning the carb. May have been the combo, but made awesome power and ran smooth.

408stroker5.0 said:
650 Speed Demon Vac Secondaries or Mechanical(Your Preference)....Plain & Simple. Why buy a Holley 650 DP (Which Is A Good Carb) when you can buy an improved version of it (Speed Demon) for only a bit more??

Shon

exactly. The demon carbs are based off the holley design but improved for much better airflow. But please consider vac secondaries for auto's and mechanical for manuals. Call up BG and they will tell you the same thing. I suppose a vac on a manual would be better than mechanical on an auto. Generally speaking though mechanical's will perform much better than a vac on a manual tranny.

J.

I thought the demon carbs were the "new" barry grant carbs?

But I have also seen a speed demon 750 on a 408 run well into the 10s on motor, no hesitation or bog at all.

I also vote for a 650 speed demon with mechanical secondaries. IMO they are easier to tune.

85LXCoupe said:
Cool info, guys... Thanks!

Anyone had experience with BIG carbs? They seem to be a pretty hot carb.

I've heard good things about BIG. They are a Holley customizer. I use AED out of Virginia. They've done well by me. I bought my first one from Holcolm Motorsports and since have worked with them direct. If you call them and go over your combo, they'll let you know what they can change to make things better. The last time I went way up on cam size and made alot of changes I had them recalibrate my carb and they ported/polished to increase the flow. When I got it all back together I took it to the dyno to tune it and was within 2 jet sizes. I think you could expect the same type service from BIG from what I've heard.

matm347 said:
I thought the demon carbs were the "new" barry grant carbs?

But I have also seen a speed demon 750 on a 408 run well into the 10s on motor, no hesitation or bog at all.

I also vote for a 650 speed demon with mechanical secondaries. IMO they are easier to tune.

Yeppers, Barry Grant makes the Demon line of carbs. Road Demon, Road demon Jr, Speed Demon, Race Demon, and Mighty Demon. The Road demons (and road demon jr's) are a nice budget carb but only in vac secondary i think. You have to go with the speed demon to get the mechanical secondaries. You wouldn't believe the difference in my car going from a holley 600 vac to the 650 speed demon.

J.

I would go with a Quickfuel carb. I LOVE mine.

fuelfitting2.jpg

Only had to set idle speed for the cam.

Attachments

• fuelfitting2.jpg
    fuelfitting2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 51