what causes a bent valve? friend thinks i might have one

91foxbodygt

Apr 11, 2005
My car has been a neverending problem, anyways.
had my engine rebuilt, gt40p heads resurfaced, new springs installed
turned on the car
well, it fouls the plugs within 2 minutes.
changed the plugs, timed the car, it made a loud ping, like something hit metal with metal?
the car doesnt stay on after that, it surges then dies unless throttle is pressed
when its driven, it feels like it has power, before it was timed with the gun it felt weak, however there has always been a miss
need some advice guys, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You'd need to have some piston-to-valve contact in order to bend a valve. What cam are you running in your car? The Stage 1 listed in your signature? That cam shouldn't be enough to create any clearance issues, if you're running 1.6 rockers. The TFS1 cam can be known to cause some surging issues on some cars, so it may be worthwhile to run down the Surging Idle Checklist in the sticky thread here in 5.0 Tech, to see if you can nail down an issue. What kinda fuel system are you running? Stock injectors & pump? How's your fuel pressure? Any codes stored?

new stock fuel pump, new fuel filter, tfs stage 1, 98 explorer injectors. car was parked for about 3 years, we took most of the old fuel out and added 5 gallons of 93 octane
we swapped stock fprs just to see if the fpr was the problem too, but it wasnt

would really bad timing cause the piston to hit the valve?????

It could very well have been detonation that caused the sound. Minor pinging sounds like marbles in a jar, but a large detonation is going to be clearly audible. Did it backfire through the intake tract at all? That can, and does do some damage to electrical components (IAC, IAT, TPS, MAF come to mind), which could also give you some headaches. If you had a bad enough detonation, you should check your plugs and plug gaps for any sign of damage, too. It's not uncommon to break the porcelain with a severe detonation, or have the plug gap change considerably.

the plugs are completely black, they were replaced after the big bang but turned black again within a couple minutes. ill replace some of the electrical components with anything i have laying around asap

I wouldn't replace any of it without checking its condition. Pulling codes will give you a good start, but you can also ohm out the IAT/ACT and see if it's still within spec. Here's a chart that shows the ohms for a given temperature:

ACT.jpg

My car has been a neverending problem, anyways.
had my engine rebuilt, gt40p heads resurfaced, new springs installed
turned on the car
well, it fouls the plugs within 2 minutes.
changed the plugs, timed the car, it made a loud ping, like something hit metal with metal?
the car doesnt stay on after that, it surges then dies unless throttle is pressed
when its driven, it feels like it has power, before it was timed with the gun it felt weak, however there has always been a miss
need some advice guys, thanks

piston rings might be shot time for a rebuilt of the bottem end

ok im in on this one now i doubt its the rings not with a 150 in each hole, now when you did the rebuild did u change the balancer bc thats what it seems like if your setting the timing by that, i had this kind of issue with 88mouse's car the balancer was just barely spun but we caught it in time bc i couldnt get the dizzy stabbed rite so finnaly i just rolled the motor over till we got to tdc on num 1 and stabbed it and it worked like a charm re set your timeing