What clutch would u run.

Heres another clutch question. I have a 89 gt with 450 fly wheel hp and am going to run drag radials. I was thinking of going with a centerforce df because they are great and would be perfect for my setup but I have heard that the counter weights will over expand after 6000 rpm. I was planning on revving the motor to 62-6400 rpm every once in a great while but am affaird of the weights over expanding and sticking. So I was wondering what some of you guys were running and your opoinins on this clutch and other. And if I should not even worry about the weights at all, or another clutch to look into. I have to drive the car everyday so it has to be streetable and barable. I know it is like wanting something that is impossible but I just need something like the centerforce.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a centerforce DF and its junk. About 2k street miles and afew track passes. Does alright on the street but when launching at 5500rpm at the track there was visible smoke. Go with a ram powergrip 900 series HD. That is the ONLY clutch I have never heard mixes reviews about and can handle 650 hp at a very reasonable price. Believe its $350 that includes the TOB also.

ya I was looking into one of those but the thing is you have to runn a billet flywheel and my fly wheel is all ready balanced to the motor. And I heard the pedal is really tough and there is a lot of chatter and its not really streetable. but I will put it down on the list. Have you ran one and experienced any of these problems.

Nope but ive never heard of any of those problems either. Or the fact you have to run a billet flywheel, where did you find that? When I switch over Iam junking the stocker anyways so it wont be a problem. When your making a good amount of power and want a clutch that will hold it, chances are it will be alittle heavy of a pedal just something you may have to deal with.

bentley - You have more horsepower than Centerforce recommends at the engine, and you have it at the wheels:) Of course it is going to slip.

To the original poster, a Centerforce Dual Friction will handle what you have and has the softest pedal of all mentioned.

I was just commenting on you saying it was "junk."

You were running much more power than warranted:)

It is not junk, just overpowered.

Well I suppose thats true, back when I was running about 300 rwhp I destroyed one too. Its really got nothing to do with my driving either. :shrug:

But yes I will agree with alot less power people do have good luck with them, just making a suggestion! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn92LX
"King cobra or motorsport HD pressure plate with a mcleod disk. 6,800 rpm and never an issue, it begs for more rpm "

"Agreed. I have that in my LX and the pedal pressure is considerably lighter than the stock clutch in my 97 Cobra. I think it is about $300 from D&D."

Ditto what they said, I'm using a KC pressure plate with the McLeod disc and it works great. I got mine from D&D as well. My car makes around 425rwhp. It does chatter a little bit when it's hot, but it's not bad at all. Pedal is nice and light too. Before that I had a Spec Stg 2. It was super-grabby, and the pedal was real heavy. I'm much happier with my current set-up.

you cant beat a FRPP HD/KC for the price. i used one and put DOZENS of track passes and some spirited driving and shifting and never had a problem until i smoked it on accident one day. replaced it with another one and it works excellent and is cheap!!

Is that the same clutch setup from astro? I know those chatter a pretty decent amount.

Uh, they do NOT chatter at ALL. Spec's stage 1's i've seen first hand with chatter problems.

The HD pp has a harder pedal a little over the KC but it will handle slightly more power and rpm due to the extra clamping force.

I have heard of a chatter before, from someone on another forum.

If I was to judge, the pressure plate of a King Cobra has probably about 20% less pedal effort. In stop and go traffic, that is huge!

The pedal effort is measureable.

Not the clamping force.

I have not seen a HD hold more than a KC.

Does anyone know why the HD could possibly have more clamping force. It is not due to the stiffness of the pressure plate springs. Centerforce smashes that idea.

Uh, they do NOT chatter at ALL. Spec's stage 1's i've seen first hand with chatter problems.

The HD pp has a harder pedal a little over the KC but it will handle slightly more power and rpm due to the extra clamping force.

blackened recently put a astro clutch kit in his car and I know for a fact it chatters. Not saying yours does I was just wondering if you got yours from the same place because it seems like it chatters more then it should...

mcleod
clutch005.jpg

clutch001.jpg

trans005.jpg

Attachments

• clutch005.jpg
    clutch005.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 54
  • clutch001.jpg
    clutch001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
  • trans005.jpg