what do heads and cam give us?

mattstang2007

Jun 7, 2009
i keep hearing all these ls1 guys saying if they get heads a cam its game over for us mustang guys, is this tru and if so what if we get heads and a cam? they are claiming like 120 hp with these two mods, any truth to it? and are we toast. i have some decent mods but if this is tru i am toast.

i have a 2007 gt with
c&l cai
bbk longtube headers, x pipe and boomtubes
91 oct tune
aluminum ds
nittos 555 on 18 fr500's 255 in front 285 in back
udp
3.31 gears soon to be 4.10's
hurst comp shifter
steeda panhard bar, lower control arms, lowering springs. i think thats it. So if i ran into a ls1 with cam and heads only am i still toast?

• Sponsors (?)

The right heads and cams are worth ~80 rwhp for us, there are a few companies that have seen over 400 RWHP on an all out NA car with the stock short block. If you really go all out with one of these (add some cubes, up the compression, so on) you could probably squeeze 450 maybe a bit more.

Stock the Camaro makes ~360 rwhp, and about the same torque, so with heads and cams I would believe 450+ rwhp, I wouldn't be too surprised if a all out build on a stock short block could push 500 rwhp.

What you have to remember is the Camaro's LS engine is a 6.2L with 10.7/1 compression, about an extra point over ours (rule of thumb is ~10% increase in HP for every 1.0 increase in compression). Simply put, they will almost always make more power, mods being equal.
Dan

The best numbers I've seen yet are on an '07, stock bottom end, full exhaust including 1-3/4'' longtubes, JPC intake manifold, ported heads and cams, springs. It netted 390 rwhp on a dyno that reads at least 10% higher than standard Dynojet SAE corrected figures.

Ported heads with cams/springs will get you maybe 345 rwhp with an otherwise stock car. You'll see most gains from ported heads with a power adder in addition to the head work. Bump the compression and stroke the motor...that's a different story.

Alright look, the MOD motor is not meant for natural aspiration. The LS series engines are. They have the cubic inches and the aftermarket to push the N/A HP limits, however under boost we have them cold. I have seen N/A LS1's with over 600 HP, the highest engine dyno LS1 I have seen N/A was 724 HP. In fact, it is TOO easy to get the big power numbers N/A. Once you boost it, the numbers are there, but the engines are not. You will have to buy an LSX block and build on a super-high budget engine to get power where we have it. There are stock block GT500's making 1000 HP boosted, so the power potential just depends on what you want to build for. I say, with boost you are going to make more power than any N/A motor, so let the Chevy guy build his N/A Slowmaro, then whoop his ass with a supercharger or turbo kit.

Alright look, the MOD motor is not meant for natural aspiration. The LS series engines are. They have the cubic inches and the aftermarket to push the N/A HP limits, however under boost we have them cold. I have seen N/A LS1's with over 600 HP, the highest engine dyno LS1 I have seen N/A was 724 HP. In fact, it is TOO easy to get the big power numbers N/A. Once you boost it, the numbers are there, but the engines are not. You will have to buy an LSX block and build on a super-high budget engine to get power where we have it. There are stock block GT500's making 1000 HP boosted, so the power potential just depends on what you want to build for. I say, with boost you are going to make more power than any N/A motor, so let the Chevy guy build his N/A Slowmaro, then whoop his ass with a supercharger or turbo kit.

The GT500 block and the GT block are not comparable.

Although there's nothing wrong with an only boosted engine, more displacement in our engines isn't a bad thing at all! A boosted engine with an extra .5 liters will gain a significant amount more than a stock engine. Same goes with heads/cams... You'll really feel the results a lot more once you're doing what S197s do best - Run boost! :D

The GT500 block and the GT block are not comparable.

Your are absolutely right. The GT block is WAY BETTER than the GT500 block. Both engines have insanely strong designs, only the GT block is a lot lighter. There is nothing "better" about the 5.4 BLOCK. The internals is the only difference and once you upgrade the 3V engine, not only does it compare, but it makes MORE HP than the 4V terminator engine and equal power to the 5.4 under the same boost.

Is anybody going to answer this guys question? Anyway I've seen 40 rwhp on a couple dyno sheets just with the FRPP Hot Rod cams installed on engine that already had the basic bolt ons such as CAI etc... CNC ported heads and a strictly N/A set of cams with long tubes and a dyno tune from somebody that knows how to advance timing for N/A engines can gain some serious HP. Thee key is exhaust and a good tuner not like most of these bolt on and make adjustments to the premade SCT maps, it will need somebody that can remap on his/her own.

Livernois stage II heads and comp vsr stage II cams (127300)

hp slope same as before 'till 4700/ tq about 10ft/lb below 'till 3800

I gained 45hp at 5K, 35hp at 5500, 82hp at 6K, and 68hp at 6330,

A/F 12.63 at peak(6330); 12.77 at 6800; flat 12.5-12.6 form 2600