what flywheel???

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
i am sure im geting a spec stage 3 with there alum flywheel.....my ? is 28 or 50 oz flywheel????? also im pretty sure if i get a 50 oz i have to go with a 50 oz balancer too............i am finally in the last stages of my motor.............

• Sponsors (?)

50 oz. I don't recomend the 28 oz. The stock one weighs MUCH more than that. I mean light weight replacement flywheels for small engines are a lot heavier than that. I wouldn't get an aluminum flywheel IMHO. You might run into drivability issues (an engine needs a large heavy flywheel to maintain inertia). You may have to feather the gas at an idle to keep it running. Plus you would lose torque...

what year is the bottom end? if it's setup to run 28oz, then you have to use that one, if it's a late model crank (81-up) you have to use a 50oz. a 28oz crank can be balanced to use a 50oz balancer, but you have to take a huge amount of metal from the counterweights which weakens the crank. the 28oz vs 50oz has NOTHING to do with the overall weight of the balancer, it's purely for the counterbalance on the crankshaft...I've rebuilt both types, the actual balancer weight is about the same (within 6 oz) for either application dependant upon year model

amended: if you haven't changed anything from the original bottom end, then you will have to use a 50oz balancer/flywheel (based on viewing your webpage)

giddyup does have a point though, if you decide to run an aluminum flywheel be prepared for less low end "feel"...but the rpms will climb quicker once it gets moving...

txstang84 said:
amended: if you haven't changed anything from the original bottom end, then you will have to use a 50oz balancer/flywheel (based on viewing your webpage)

giddyup does have a point though, if you decide to run an aluminum flywheel be prepared for less low end "feel"...but the rpms will climb quicker once it gets moving...
i have a 88 302 motor.....the internals are stock except for a set of piston's.....the steel flywheel is cheaper so i will go with a 50 OZ fly wheel and balancer...... thanks for the help huys........... :hail2:

Good choice on the aluminum flywheel. I bought myself one too so I can go faster :)

What was your rotating assembly balanced to? If its 50oz you NEED a 50oz balancer/flywheel. If its 28 oz, then you obviously need 28oz balancer/fly. Less external balance = less weight hanging off the ends of the crank and it should be better for higher rpm's. The aluminum flywheel should work great as well. Less rotating weight adding up to LESS wear and tear since its less weight the rotating assembly has to spin. You will NOT lose low end with an aluminum flywheel.

Yep, I would suggest against an aluminum flywheel due to some of the reasons shown here. If it is your daily driver I would suggest against. If you look/ask around you will most of the guys going with them have a daily driver other than their AFW equipped car. It isn't always about going half a tenth faster but keeping better rotating street manners makes it that much more worth it.:nice:

You will want a 50oz since you have a stock bottomend balance. N8Miller brought up a good point about the balancer/rotating assembly/flywheel have to be matched.