What Have I Done Wrong This Time (brake Question)

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
One of the very first things I bought for the car, even before there was a car was the brakes.
Purchased from Rock auto, I bought 13" rotors and 95 Cobra calipers, and 11.65" rear 95 Cobra rotors.

Recently, I purchased new rear calipers from them also 95 GT/GTS calipers w/ bracket.
The rear I am using is a 95GT rear.

So I'm completing the thing, and I slap one of those rotors on the studs, open my caliper box and put the bracket on the rear caliper mount pads.

View attachment 118602

Not only are they 70 million miles away from the mount pad, they are also way too high to line up.

WHAT THE PHUCK?

Now the spacing thing,...if that's because Moser got that wrong again,..I can live w/ that,...I can space the caliper bracket over w/ spacers. BUT,....they are still too high. I measured these rotors, and they measure 11-11/16". From the axle mating surface of the inside of the rotor to the brake pad surface closest to the bracket is 1.75".

Was I supposed to acquire a Cobra caliper mount bracket for the axle housing?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a set and will sell you them if you want, send me a pm
Have PM'd you. Be nice to me.
From what I can see on fordparts.com, the caliper brackets and calipers are all different from the GT versions.
Yeah, live and learn. The housing brackets are the required part of the swap to upgrade to the bigger rotor.

So,...depending on what price I have to give for these things,........ my next question is what do you suppose the stock brackets are made of?........Steel? or Iron?

If they're steel, I'm cutting, raising, spacing, and welding what I got to make them work. If they're Iron,........I'm buyin' some more junk I gotta have.

Not sure if it is iron or steel, all i can tell you is that it is a cast piece. I thought there was a company a while back that made adapter brackets to go from GT to Cobra brakes without changing the axle bracket.

Not sure if it is iron or steel, all i can tell you is that it is a cast piece. I thought there was a company a while back that made adapter brackets to go from GT to Cobra brakes without changing the axle bracket.
Yeah, Elarm1 just made that unnecessary. He has some I'm gonna get. (Good thing I haven't tipped the rear end since filling it w/ gear oil yet.)